unexpected problem

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

At working in Nodexl, wanting to use the dynamic filters, I received the suggestion to post to this site, while struggeling with a re-occuring problem. Does anyone have any suggstions to solve this problem?

Thank you so much!

Best

Didi

---

---------------------------NodeXL---------------------------An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[ArgumentException]: Er is al een item met dezelfde sleutel toegevoegd.

bij System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   bij System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   bij System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
   bij Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.DynamicFilterSettings.Open()
   bij Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.DynamicFilterDialog.OnLoad(EventArgs e)---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Didi:

There was a bug in earlier versions of NodeXL that caused this to occur if you had leading or trailing spaces in column names, like "My Column  ".  The bug was fixed in version 1.0.1.149 of NodeXL.

Please check your NodeXL version, which you can see at NodeXL, Help, About in the Excel ribbon.  If it's earlier than 1.0.1.149, then that explains the problem you are seeing.

You can get the latest version of NodeXL at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases.  You do not have to uninstall the version you have before you install the latest version.

-- Tony

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Ok Tony, I'll check my version, thanks!

Didi

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 22 nov. 2012 om 18:44 heeft "tcap479" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende geschreven:

Didi:

There was a bug in earlier versions of NodeXL that caused this to occur if you had leading or trailing spaces in column names, like "My Column ". The bug was fixed in version 1.0.1.149 of NodeXL.

Please check your NodeXL version, which you can see at NodeXL, Help, About in the Excel ribbon. If it's earlier than 1.0.1.149, then that explains the problem you are seeing.

You can get the latest version of NodeXL at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases. You do not have to uninstall the version you have before you install the latest version.

-- Tony

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Tony,

I removed a single redundant space in the columns heads and installed a newer version (the old was 1.0.1.224), but the problem still exists. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again!
Didi

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:44:21 -0800
Subject: Re: unexpected problem [NodeXL:404088]

Didi:
There was a bug in earlier versions of NodeXL that caused this to occur if you had leading or trailing spaces in column names, like "My Column ". The bug was fixed in version 1.0.1.149 of NodeXL.
Please check your NodeXL version, which you can see at NodeXL, Help, About in the Excel ribbon. If it's earlier than 1.0.1.149, then that explains the problem you are seeing.
You can get the latest version of NodeXL at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases. You do not have to uninstall the version you have before you install the latest version.
-- Tony
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Nov 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Didi:

It sounds like there is a bug here that I haven't seen before.  (I'm the NodeXL programmer.)  There is a chance that it's related to language; I notice that you and your computer use Dutch, and there have been a few bugs in the past that didn't show up until someone tried using a particular feature in a particular language.

If you are able to send me a workbook in which this problem occurs, that would help me track down the problem and fix it.  I'll send you an email address separately.  In your email, please do this:

1. Attach the workbook.

2. Tell me exactly which language your computer is set to.  In Windows 7, you can find this by searching for Region and Language in the Windows Start menu.  On my computer, the "Format" in the Region and Language dialog box is set to "English (United States)"; on yours, it might be set to "Dutch (Belgium)" or "Dutch (Netherlands)".

3. Tell me what I need to do with the workbook to get the problem to show up.  Is it as simple as opening the workbook, showing the graph, and selecting Dynamic Filters in the ribbon?

Thanks,
    Tony

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Hello, Didi:

Thank you for sending the workbook.

This is indeed a bug in NodeXL, although it turns out to not have anything to do with Dutch or any other language.  The bug is difficult to "trigger", because you first have to have two columns that have the same name except for a trailing space--"Edge Weight" and "Edge Weight " in your case--and then open Dynamic Filters twice.

I don't have a permanent fix for this bug yet, but I repaired your workbook and returned it to you so that the bug won't pop up again in this particular workbook.  Do you have other workbooks with the same problem?  If it's just a few, send those to me and I'll fix them, too.  If it's a bunch, I might have to give you instructions on how to fix them yourself.

Thanks for reporting this problem.  And by the way, that's a nice-looking graph you're working on.  If you ever want to show it off, we have a website for that.  (See http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org).

-- Tony