YouTube Shared Tags - No Edges?

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I tried to import a YouTube shared tags network with the default NodeXL search terms, as well as some other common search terms, and I get all the vertices, but no edges.

Is anyone else experincing this problem? I'm not sure if something on YouTube's side changed, or what, if this is just a problem on my end. All the other features work as intended, just no edges with the YouTube shared tags network.

(I'm using the lastest version of NodeXL)

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yes, I see the problem, too.

It looks like something has changed on YouTube's side of things that might require changes on NodeXL end.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks for letting us know.

-- Tony

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

It turns out that YouTube will no longer provide a video's keywords to anyone except the video's owner.  I don't know why that is, but I'm including YouTube's documentation after my signature for reference.

So that means we have to remove the "add an edge for each pair of videos tagged with the same keyword" option from the Import from YouTube Video Network dialog box.  YouTube won't provide the keywords, so the option is now useless.

We could replace this option with an "add an edge for each pair of videos that have the same category" option, because a video's category (Tech, HowTo, Education, People, etc.) is public.  As someone analyzing YouTube data, would such an option be useful to you?

-- Tony

From https://developers.google.com/youtube/2.0/reference#youtube_data_api_tag_category:

"Note that a video entry will only include keywords if the API request was authorized by the video's owner. If the API request was not authorized or was authorized by another user, <category> tags containing keywords will not be included in the feed."

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM
tcap479 wrote:

We could replace this option with an "add an edge for each pair of videos that have the same category" option, because a video's category (Tech, HowTo, Education, People, etc.) is public.  As someone analyzing YouTube data, would such an option be useful to you?

-- Tony

Thanks for checking into this Tony. That stinks YouTube won't provide keywords anymore, I was just getting into seeing what was possible with keyword networks.

I'm not sure about the usefulness of a "shared category" network, but if it's not much work, it might be interesting. However, if it's time consuming, I wouldn't bother with it.

Thanks again for your help.  

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM

FYI:

The "add an edge for each pair of videos tagged with the same keyword" option will be replaced with "add an edge for each pair of videos that have the same category" in version 1.0.1.226 of NodeXL.

-- Tony