Licencing Question

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:52 AM
Is this library allowed to be used in commercial applications? This library appears to be under the Microsoft Public Licence which allows you to do so. However, it depends on Microsoft GLEE which was released under the Microsoft Research Shared Source Licence, which prohibits commercial use...
Oct 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM
I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that: GLEE Source code is not distributed as part of the .NetMap release. GLEE is not licensed under the MPL.  .NetMap requires GLEE only to support the Sugiyama layout.  4) Redistribution and commercial derivative use of .NetMap is allowed under the MPL license (just not for the GLEE component). -Marc
Oct 11, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I don't know the answer to this.  However, if the inclusion of GLEE turns out to be problematic, it can be excluded from your application.  The GLEE DLL is used only if you use the SugiyamaLayout.  If you never create a SugiyamaLayout object, the DLL isn't needed.

-- Tony
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM
I'd like to see this issue clarified.  To that end I've created an issue in the issue tracker.  This one file is causing my legal team to tell me I can't move forward with using NodeXL.  (And yes, I want to use the Sugiyama layout.)
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM
James and Rabid have raised two separate issues here.  I believe James's GLEE question has been resolved -- it has a separate license, and GLEE can be removed from NodeXL if necessary.  Rabid's point is that there is a EULA associated with one of the NodeXL applications included in the source code, called "DesktopApplication," and the EULA seems to conflict with the MPL license that covers NodeXL as a whole.  That EULA was inserted back when NodeXL was nothing but the DesktopApplication and was distributed via the Microsoft Research download site.  I think it's a vestige that can be removed from the source code, but I'll confirm that with our legal department.

-- Tony
Jan 26, 2009 at 4:15 PM
In the next source code release, the entire DesktopApplication and DesktopApplicationSetup projects are going away, including the troublesome Eula.rtf file in the setup.  The reason is that the NodeXLControl Windows Forms control in the Control project is being replaced by a WPF version of the control, and we don't have the time to retrofit the DesktopApplication to use the new WPF version.  DesktopApplication is a remnant of a very early version of NodeXL and has been superseded by the ExcelTemplate project.
Jan 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Thanks, that's excellent news!  What's the public expectation of a date for the next release?  I don't see anything (publicly) listed in Releases -> Planned.
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:43 AM
I'm aiming for an Excel Template release in about a week, and a source code release about a week after that.  (I don't want to release the source code until I know there are no showstopper bugs in the Excel Template.)

-- Tony
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM

The last reply to this message is over a year old. I see that GLEE is still distributed with NodeXL. Are there currently any plans to reimplement a Sugiyama algorithm directly in NodeXL? It's unfortunate that what would otherwise be a great contribution to the open source world is hampered by one of the most useful layout algorithms being proprietary. I would offer to do it myself, but alas, my math skills are probably not up to par for this one.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Reimplementing the Sugiyama algorithm is not a trivial task, so it's unlikely that we'll do it anytime soon.  On the layout front, the top feature request seems to be the drawing of parallel edges as curves rather than overlapping straight lines.

-- Tony