Half-empty row

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Hi,

I´m trying  to create a network in NodeXL. I study scientific colaboration and I intent to anlyze co-autorship in some areas.

I tried to fill this way:

Vertex 1   Vertex 2

John        Paul

John        Jack

Paul         Eric

Tom        Marie

Kate        Sun

Juliet

When I fill the vertex and try show graph, the follow in message appear:

"Cell A6 contain a vertex name but cell B6 is empty. You can include an empty row, which will be ignored, but you can´t include a hal-empty row.

You can fix the problem by entering a vertex name in B9or deleting the name in A6."

I tried to repeat the vertex "A6" (Juliet    Juliet) but it produced an autoloop.

How can I fix it without produce an autoloop?

Tks!

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Edited Apr 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

You need to add an "isolated vertex" to the graph.  Below my signature is the text from the "Graphs with Isolated Vertices" topic in the NodeXL help file, which you can find at NodeXL, Help, Help in the Excel ribbon if you need further details.

-- Tony

Some graphs have isolated vertices, or isolates, which are vertices that are not connected to any edges. If your graph has isolates, you have to take special action to get them to appear in the Graph Pane. By default, a vertex is shown in the Graph Pane only if it is connected to at least one edge.

To add an isolated vertex to the graph:

1. Select the Vertices worksheet.

2. Enter the name of the vertex in the first empty cell in the Vertex column.

3. Set the Visibility cell for the new vertex row to Show. If you don't see a Visibility column on the Vertices worksheet, show the Visual Properties column group.

(There is a reason why NodeXL works this way. If every vertex listed in the Vertices worksheet appeared in the Graph Pane, even those not connected to edges, then you would not be able to delete an edge from the Edges worksheet without checking whether the edge's vertices were now isolated, and then removing the isolates from the Vertices worksheet if necessary. That would be quite burdensome.)

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I´m gonna try this way!

Tks!!