how to plot the degree distribution with NODEXL ?

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM

I understand that by NodeXL we can calculate the graph metrics, for example the degree of each vertex in the graph, and create the histogram of degree frequency.   However, I want to plot the structural property of a complex network: degree distribution; And I don't know how to plot the degree distribution curve with NodeXL ?

So my question is : could NodeXL be used in conjunction with Gnuplot or Matlab (these plotting programs ) ? , Or could the data created by NodeXL be imported into the Gnuplot or Matlab ?

Thank you!

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Hello, JoJo:

I don't understand what you mean by plotting the structural property of a complex network.  Specifically, what quantities do you want to plot, using what type of chart?

But maybe the exact answer isn't important, because one of the nice things of NodeXL being "hosted" within Excel is that you have direct access to the vast range of charts that Excel can create for you.  All you have to do is select a chart type at Insert, Charts in the ribbon, select the Degree column and whatever other column(s) you want to use for your chart's data, and Excel will create a nice chart for you.

Or if Excel doesn't provide what you need, you can copy the Degree column and any other vertex columns to a blank Excel workbook, save that workbook as a tab-delimited file, and import that file into another program for further processing.

-- Tony

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Thank you very much! I have understood what you told me, and I will try these things with Excel!

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello, JoJo:

I don't understand what you mean by plotting the structural property of a complex network. Specifically, what quantities do you want to plot, using what type of chart?

But maybe the exact answer isn't important, because one of the nice things of NodeXL being "hosted" within Excel is that you have direct access to the vast range of charts that Excel can create for you. All you have to do is select a chart type at Insert, Charts in the ribbon, select the Degree column and whatever other column(s) you want to use for your chart's data, and Excel will create a nice chart for you.

Or if Excel doesn't provide what you need, you can copy the Degree column and any other vertex columns to a blank Excel workbook, save that workbook as a tab-delimited file, and import that file into another program for further processing.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com