Mapping Nodes w/o Ties

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM

i'm constructing a network to illustrate collaborate between medical officials and community organizations/individuals. the data is based on a survey sent out to various medical officials and there are a few individuals/organizations that do not contain any ties. however, i'd like to include them as isolated, non-connected nodes in the network because they were included on the survey. one way i know to do this is to fill out the node's name in both vertex columns, essentially pairing a node with itself. however, this shows up on the visuals as the node plus a small, empty circle, which i assume is nodexl's way of making sense of having a node paired with itself. is there a way to remove this empty circle and just have a node standing by itself in the network to show its lack of collaboration/connectivity in the network?

also, does anyone have any ideas on what layout would best display such a network? i've set it up with fruchterman-reingold and sampled other layouts, and am not sure if there's a way to better display the data. again, this is based on a survey sent out to medical professionals asking them to indicate what community groups and fellow medical individuals they have collaborated with in the past.

thank you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM

To add an isolated vertex to the graph:

1. Select the Vertices worksheet.

2. Enter the name of the vertex in the first empty cell in the Vertex column.

3. Set the Visibility cell for the new vertex row to Show. If you don't see a Visibility column on the Vertices worksheet, show the Visual Properties column group.

For more information, go to NodeXL, Help, Help in the ribbon and select the "Graphs with Isolated Vertices" topic.

-- Tony