Mar 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM
What do you mean by "show"? I'll assume that selecting the vertices and edges, which turns them red, will be sufficient to show them.
First, group your vertices by category:
1. Go to NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Vertex Attribute.
2. In the Group by Vertex Attribute dialog box, select the column that contains your categories, and specify that the column's values are Categories. Click OK. (You have to first rename the "Add Your Own Column" column on the
Vertices worksheet to something else to get it to show up in the list of available columns.)
You now have a group for each of your categories. Groups show up on the Groups worksheet, which you can switch to using the set of tabs at Excel's lower-left corner.
Next, select group "A":
3. On the Groups worksheet, select the row for group "A".
This selects the vertices that have category "A", and their incident edges.
You could be done at this point, but you said that you also want the vertices one step away. So do this:
4. Right-click the graph pane and select Select Subgraphs from the right-click menu.
5. In the Select Subgraphs dialog box, specify "all selected vertices," a "levels" of 1.0, and "select the connecting edges." When you click the Select button, the vertices one step away from the group's vertices will get selected,
along with the connecting edges.