Formating label name

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM

I've just installed NodeXL and find it an excellent alternative to commercial software for performing link analysis and providing a visual relationship map for my investigations.

I have two queries:

1. I have input an image for each Label, such as a photo of an individual with the name of that individual below it. Is it possible to change the font of the Label (size, bold) so that it is easier to identify certain Vertices on the graph when the Shape is Image? At the moment I can just change the colour via Visual Properties. Of course, I can change the Label size when the Shape is Label, but then I can't give the Label an image as well.

2. Certain Vertices can be informally grouped together. Is it possible to draw a retangle around these Vertices on the graph and add a label to this informal grouping?

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

1. You can change the font used for label annotations, but the change applies to all vertices.  (A label annotation is where you add a label that appears below a shape, such as an Image.)  You can't change the font for individual vertices.  If you want to change the font used for all vertices, do this:

A. Right-click the graph pane and select Graph Options from the right-click menu.

B. In the Graph Options dialog box, select the Other tab.

C. On the Other tab, click the Labels button.

D. In the Label Options dialog box, click the Font button.

-- Tony

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

2. Try this and see if it's what you're looking for:

A. With your mouse, drag a rectangle around the vertices you want to group.

B. In the ribbon, select NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Add Selected Vertices to Group.

C. In the Add Selected Vertices to Group dialog box, give a name to your group.  The name isn't important.

D. Using Excel's worksheet tabs at the lower-left corner of the Excel window, switch to the Groups worksheet.

E. On the Groups worksheet, enter a Label for the group you just created.

F. In the ribbon, select NodeXL, Graph, Layout, Layout Options.

G. In the Layout Options dialog box, select "Lay out each of the graph's groups in its own box...".

H. Refresh the graph.  Your group will appear in a box with your Label in the box's center.

That's as close as NodeXL comes to boxing and labeling groups.  NodeXL chooses the box locations; you can't position the boxes yourself.

-- Tony

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Thanks Tony.

Not a train smash, I can always manually add the grouping (if important) via a graphics program.