Show Constant Edge Width, Filter on Another Variable

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Dear Forum,

On a Fruchterman-Reingold plot how can I show a small constant (fixed) edge width between all vertices, while filtering on another variable?  Is there not a switch setting for specifying a fixed constant for all edge widths(?)  In other words, the intent is to not use temperature or spring strength, so maybe this is another type of layout?

Also, I am importing square symmetric covariance and correlation matrices, and have to go through quite a lot to filter out the "within" edges for each vertex, that is, the diagonal elements of the correlation and covariance matrices.   Basically, these are the edges with the same vertex names.     

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

If you want to change the width of the all the edges in the graph, do the following.  (These instructions are for version 1.0.1.201 of NodeXL.)

1. Click the Graph Options button at the top of the graph pane.  If the graph pane is narrow, the Graph Options button will be "hidden" behind a down-arrow icon.

2. In the Graph Options dialog box, select the Edges tab.

3. In the Edges tab, set the Width to something other than the default 1.0.

To make this change "stick" for all new workbooks you create, do this:

4. In the Excel ribbon, click NodeXL, Options, Use Current for New.

To find out more about how NodeXL options work, do this:

5. Go to NodeXL, Help, Help in the ribbon and view the Working with Options topic.

I do not understand your second paragraph.

-- Tony