Wierdness with Parallels

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I installed NodeXl this afternoon on a MacBook Air running SnowLeopard, but under Parallels and Excel 2007. My first attempt at installation was a failure, but by all accounts the second time was a charm. BUT I went to start it and it started Excel on the MAC SIDE (ie no graph, interestingly, but the columns etc came up).

What did I do wrong?

How do I correct this?

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I'm wondering if Excel 2007 itself is set up properly on the Windows side, irrespective of NodeXL.  Try this experiment:

1. Open Excel 2007 on the Windows side.  You'll get an empty, normal (not NodeXL) workbook.

2. Select Office Button, Save As.

3. In the Save As dialog box, change the "Save as type" to "Excel Template (*.xltx)".

4. Specify "TestFile" as the "File name", and save the file to the Desktop.  (Desktop is usually under Favorites in the left folder pane.)

5. Close Excel 2007.

6. Locate TestFile.xltx on your Windows desktop and double-click it.  Which program opens?

-- Tony

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Hi Tony,

The Mac version opens. I guess I will have to see our IT guys in the morning. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM

It sounds like something is wrong with the "file associations" for Excel files on the Windows side.  When Windows sees a ".xltx" Excel template file, for example, it should know that the file gets opened with Excel 2007.

I don't know how things went awry on your computer, but once your IT guys fix the general problem with ".xltx" files (and probably other Excel file types as well), that should fix the NodeXL problem, too.  NodeXL uses a ".xltx" Excel template file.

-- Tony