How do I color in vertices in NodeXL?

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hello,

I am trying to give each of my groups a unique vertex color in NodeXL.  I have already assigned each group a color, but for some reason they are not appearing on my graph even after I refresh it.  Can anyone offer me some advice on this problem?

 

Thanks,

Bob

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Try looking in Group Options to see if you have selected group level or vertex level attributes?

You may be displaying vertex level data instead of group level data.

Sometimes, particularly when used with the "group-in-a-box" feature, it is useful to display vertex level attributes within each group region.

-

Marc

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I assume by Group Options, you mean the Analysis section of the NodeXL toolbar where it has Groups as one of the options. It does not look like I have vertex attributes selected. When I click on the Group button within this section, it gives me a variety of grouping options, such as "group by vertex attribute" and "group by cluster". I was able to fiddle around with a nearly identical file and get it to display the colors, but I don't think I had to change the group or vertex attributes as your are describing. I would just send you a copy of my file to look at, but unfortunately it has confidential information on the employees we are studying. Let me know if you have any other ideas, thanks so much for your help and have a nice evening.

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: marcsmith

Try looking in Group Options to see if you have selected group level or vertex level attributes?

You may be displaying vertex level data instead of group level data.

Sometimes, particularly when used with the "group-in-a-box" feature, it is useful to display vertex level attributes within each group region.

-

Marc

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com




--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Robert:

I assume that you are attempting to change the color of a group's vertices by editing the group's Vertex Color cell in the Groups worksheet.  Is that correct?

As an experiment, try editing the group's Vertex Shape cell in the Groups worksheet, then refreshing the graph.  Did the shape of the group's vertices change?

-- Tony

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Another question:

The group's vertices are not the color you specified.  What color are they?

-- Tony

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Hi Tony,

I tried to change the shape of the vertices in the Vertex shape column of the Group tab but nothing happened. And to answer your other question, the vertices are currently all black.

Thanks,
Bob


On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: tcap479

Another question:

The group's vertices are not the color you specified. What color are they?

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com




--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Hi again,

To answer your first question Tony, you are correct, I was trying to edit the vertex colors in the column of the Group tab. Thanks so much for your help!

-Bob

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Robert Stanford <rbstanford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tony,

I tried to change the shape of the vertices in the Vertex shape column of the Group tab but nothing happened. And to answer your other question, the vertices are currently all black.

Thanks,
Bob



On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: tcap479

Another question:

The group's vertices are not the color you specified. What color are they?

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com




--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu




--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Robert:

There are a couple of ways I can think of to get NodeXL to ignore the Vertex Color column on the Groups worksheet:

1. The deliberate way.  If you go to NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group Options and select "the color specified in the Color column on the Vertices worksheet" as an answer to the "What color should be used for the groups' vertices" question, then NodeXL will ignore the Vertex Color column on the Groups worksheet.  But I believe you already verified that you haven't done this.

2. The accidental way.  If you overwrite a column header on the Groups worksheet (if you overwrite "Vertex Color" with "Garbage," for example), then NodeXL will just ignore the Groups worksheet.  However, there will then be no indication at all in the graph pane that the graph has any groups.  I assume that you are seeing some indication in the graph pane that the graph has groups?

There may be other accidental ways as well.

This is difficult to diagnose without having the workbook, which I know you can't share with us due to confidentiality requirements.  Perhaps you could try exporting your graph to a new NodeXL workbook to see if that fixes the problem.  You can do that like so:

1. Right-click the graph pane and select Select All, Vertices and Edges from the right-click menu.  (Or click anywhere in the graph pane and type Ctrl-A.)

2. In the ribbon, select NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook.

3. Recreate your groups in the new workbook using one of the "Group by" items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu.  (The groups don't get exported.)

-- Tony

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Also:

I assume that you created your original groups via a "Group by" item on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu, and that you didn't try to fill in everything on the Groups and Group Vertices worksheets by hand instead.  The latter technique isn't recommended.

-- Tony

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Hi Tony and Marc,

I thought that perhaps I messed with the group options at some point when I was entering my data so I decided to do it all over again. This time I did not do anything with the Analysis/Groups options and everything worked perfectly!

Thank you so much for your help, you guys are really great. This is my first time using NodeXL, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and timely responses. My team will be so happy to see that we figured this out!

-Bob

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: tcap479

Also:

I assume that you created your original groups via a "Group by" item on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu, and that you didn't try to fill in everything on the Groups and Group Vertices worksheets by hand instead. The latter technique isn't recommended.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com




--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I'm glad we could help.

-- Tony