Data input to NodeXL

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Hi! This is my first time using NodeXL, but I'm really excited about what you all have created here. Capabilities look amazing. One question. I have a 600x600 node network dataset (in regular excel) that has 1s denoting ties and 0s denoting absence of ties. I'm curious, is there a way to upload this matrix directly into NodeXL without transforming it into dyadic edgelists? As you can imagine, that would save me a lot of time if it were possible... Thanks!

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Yes, you can do that via the following steps:

1. Open your matrix workbook in Excel.

2. Create a new NodeXL workbook in Excel.

3. In the NodeXL workbook, go to NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Matrix Workbook in the ribbon.

-- Tony

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm new to NodeXL as well, and am doing what I can to get up to speed! Is there a way to do the matrix import from the NodeXL workbook file itself? I've made a new tab in the NodeXL workbook (which if I'm correct is just a standard Excel tab), and have placed the adjacency matrix there. I'd like to import the matrix from there to the edge list. I'm hoping to ultimately create a self-contained NodeXL workbook, such that a user can change things in an Excel tab that then update the network visualization...

Thanks!
Feb 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Hello, Central:

No, I'm afraid there is no way to do that. NodeXL can only import an adjacency matrix from a separate Excel workbook. It can't import directly from an extra worksheet in the NodeXL workbook itself.

-- Tony