newsgroups/windows search

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Hi everyone!!

I am new in the discussion list and have been using NodeXL for few months now. There is a problem I faced when I tried to import newsgroup posts in NodeXL and was never able to overcome

For some reasons, I can't get Windows search to index news messages from outlook express.

When I select the news folder location, Windows search has no problem to index the dbx files. But when I search for a message, after selecting the outlook option, I have no results. 

The consequence of that is I can't import the newsgroup posts in NodeXL. I always get a message saying there is no email found

Any suggestions?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:09 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Hello, Wifak:

This is a Windows Search issue, and I don't know the answer.  (If Windows Search won't index it, NodeXL won't find it.)  I would recommend posting a question to the Windows Desktop Search help forum, which you can find here:

This forum, and all the other forums hosted by MSDN/Microsoft, are read by a wide range of Microsoft employees, partners and users, and someone there may be able to shed some light on the problem you've run into.

-- Tony

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Thanks Tony! I'll give it a try.

In fact, for my research I resolved to a detour and went for the dirty, time consuming option. I inputed manually 20000 relations in Excell and imported the spreadsheet into NodeXL. Now, I have the graphs and I am currently analysing them.

But I think that I can still benefit from the filtering options of the import function, expecially the time intervals...which explains why I am still looking for a solution.

Thanks for the link!