Sending NodeXL to someone

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I've been using NodeXL the past few months for a network analysis project and would like some colleagues of mine to review it. What would be the best way for me to send my project over to them? (I.e. should I give them the unzipped NodeXL file that I downloaded along with my project and let them open it or is there an easier way?)

Thanks, great great product.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Assuming that your colleague has installed NodeXL on her computer, all you need to do is send the NodeXL workbook file to her.  When she opens it, she'll see all the graph data in your workbook.  She won't see the actual graph, though, until she clicks Show Graph at the top of the graph pane.  There is no easier way.

If your colleague has not installed NodeXL, she will need to do so before the NodeXL workbook will open successfully on her computer.  She can get the latest version of NodeXL from

(Actually, you can open a NodeXL workbook on any Excel-equipped computer and see the graph data, although an error message will pop up and there will be no graph pane if NodeXL isn't actually installed on the computer.)

-- Tony

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should re-phrase my question; is there a way to transfer the NodeXL software from computer to computer without having the user download & install NodeXL for each computer the program will be run on?

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM

You could send the file to your colleague so she could install NodeXL without having to download the Zip file from CodePlex herself.  However, the Setup program in that Zip file downloads additional software during the setup process if the additional software isn't already installed on the computer, so that might not accomplish much.

-- Tony