Creating a single vertex?

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I'm very new to NodeXL and trying to do a project for work. I realize that a big part of this is looking at connections between people/things, but there are some instances where there is no connection but I still need to plot the vertex- such as looking for interdisciplinary projects between departments, but sometimes the department is isolated and not connected to anyone else. When I try to enter in just one name in the "Edges" tab, it won't let me- it says there needs to be an entry in columns A and B. When I enter a single vertex into the "Vertex" tab, it does not get plotted on the graph. Is there a way to do this? I see some vertexes isolated in some of the chart pictures in the tutorial  pdf, but I cannot recreate that! Please help. Thanks

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM

To add an isolated vertex to the graph, enter it on the Vertices worksheet and set its Visibility cell to "Show."  (By default, a vertex isn't shown if it isn't part of an edge.)

-- Tony

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM

In the next version of NodeXL (, there will be a topic called "Graphs with Isolated Vertices" in the Help system (NodeXL, Help, Help).

-- Tony