Error Installing - Error 1001 Access to path denied

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Hi, guys. I'm trying to install on EXcel 2010 windows 7. I get the following error while trying to install:

Error 1001 Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplateSetupClickOnceInstaller.InstallState' is denied.

Ack!

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Are you logged in as an administrator on the computer?  Also, is Excel closed when you run Setup.exe?

-- Tony

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Yes, I'm an admin and yes Excel is closed when I tried to install.

K

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Are you logged in as an administrator on the computer? Also, is Excel closed when you run Setup.exe?

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2012 at 7:06 AM

For some reason, you've lost some Windows permissions to the folder where NodeXL is installed.  Please try the following:

1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator.

2. Make sure you have Excel closed.

3. In Windows Explorer, remove this entire folder:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template.

4. Run Setup.exe again.

-- Tony

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Hi, Tony. I just wanted to say that the fix you proposed worked great. I'm now able to use the product. Thanks so much. 

K

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for letting me know that it worked.  I hope to eventually figure out the cause of this problem (it's happened to at least one other person), but at least I have a workaround to recommend for the time being.

-- Tony

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I am having the same error. I have followed the above directions: I'm an administrator, and Excel is closed. However, I have tried to delete the NodeXL Excel Template folder, but I cannot find the Microsoft Research folder. I don't think it has been created (I checked in Program Files and Program Files(x86)).

After I click ok on the 1001 error, I get another Error 1001:

Could not find the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplateSetupClickOnceInstaller.InstallState'

After I click ok on this error, it rolls back the installation.

Please advise.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM

First, are you certain that the first error you encounter mentions "Access to the path ... is denied"?  It turns out that there are several Error 1001 messages, and this discussion is about just one of them.

If that's the case, try the following.  (The folder name changed after my June 2, 2011 post.)

1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator.

2. Make sure you have Excel closed.

3. In Windows Explorer, remove this entire folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".

4. Run Setup.exe again.

-- Tony

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Yes, I am certain the first error contained the Access Denied. Turns out the problem is that I was running the Dnrd.msi file, instead of Setup.exe.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Trevor:

You can help others here who might run into the same problem.  If the file "Dnrd.msi" were named "Do Not Run Directly.msi" (which is what the abbreviation stands for) or "Do Not Run This.msi," would you have been more inclined to run the correct Setup.exe file?  I thought the "Dnrd.msi" name would be so mysterious that no one would dare double-click it.  I was dead wrong on that--many people have double-clicked it and then run into ugly problems--and I think I know why: the file's Type shows up as "Windows Installer Package" in Windows Explorer and so it looks like a perfectly sensible thing to double-click.

Your feedback on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

You nailed it. I clicked the Dnrd.msi because it was a Windows Installer Package. Also, I may have been drawn to the msi because of my aversion to executable files downloaded of the internet, especially ones in zipped files. I suppose a README file could help, or simply renaming them to be more clear.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Thanks, Trevor.

-- Tony