Width of the connection is lost when the group is selected in a graph

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with the width or "weight" of the edges of a graph that I'm creating using NODEXL. Once I run the analysis and I obtain the desired graph, I want to select particular groups and show to my audience the interaction between different vertices. However, once I select a group, the width of the edges is lost; they always appear as thin lines (regardless of how thick the connection was before). This represents a lost of information that I would like to avoid.

In the following link you can find two versions of the same graph before and after selecting the group. You will see the difference in the weight of the particular edges associated with that group.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umhurtah/nodexl_issue.doc

Any help will be grately appreciated,

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

The problem you're reporting is not isolated to groups.  It happens with selected edges in general.

There used to be a technical reason for why NodeXL uses the same width for all selected edges.  That reason is no longer valid, and the problem will be fixed in the next version of NodeXL.  That will be version 1.0.1.167, which will be released in a few weeks.

In the meantime, a workaround is to label your edges with whatever numbers you used to calculate edge widths.  That way your width information will be visible even if the edges are selected, although the information will be numerical instead of graphical.

You can label edges using the Label column on the Edges worksheet.  You can use a formula for the label, or let NodeXL fill in the column automatically using NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns.

Thanks for reporting the problem.

-- Tony

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Thank you very much Tony!