Problems with Edge color in Excel 2010

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
I'm trying to have a graph with different Edge Colors. When I put my mouse pointer on the corresponding cell, it shows me the message: "Edge Color  To selec an optional edge color, right-click and select Select Color on the right-click menu. When I try to do this, I get the standard "cut, copy, paste, insert,... menu and the menu which allows me to change the text and box color, text font, cell edges,... but no select color.

When I type the colors, they do show up in the graph, but since I want to use different shades of the same color, that is not really helpful.

I'm running excel 2010 on a virtual Windows 7 machine.

Does anyone has any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Not a dumb question at all.  This is a known bug in NodeXL.  It happens only on some computers, and I haven't yet figured out the cause.

The workaround is to select one or more edges in the Edges worksheet, then click NodeXL, Visual Properties, Color in the Excel Ribbon.  This will take you to the same Color dialog box that you would get to if the right-click menu were working properly.

-- Tony

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I followed these instructions, but when I click on a color, NodeXL inserts the RGB code (e.g. 255, 128, 192) into the cell and then gives an error message.

I have tried entering text names from colors using a standard HTML color chart, but not all colors seem to work. Is there a list somewhere of which color names are valid in NodeXL?

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I have not heard of problems inserting colors using the NodeXL, Visual Properties, Color item.  Please tell me the exact error message you are getting, and when you are getting it.  Is it immediately after the color is inserted, or when you click Refresh Graph?

With many error messages, you can press Ctrl+C to copy the entire message to the Clipboard.

The color names you can use are listed at  NodeXL accepts spaces in the names, so "Papaya Whip" (my all-time favorite) works the same as "PapayaWhip."

-- Tony