group attributes

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Hi -

I am using autofill to change the size, color and shape of my nodes based on node attributes I have imported. This works great, until I break my network into groups. When I do this, each group is automatically assigned a color and shape. While I can change the color and shape per group using the groups tab, I can't figure out how to have all the members of each group colored according to the autofill properties. I am trying to use the new graph layout by group feature, to partition my network into 14 different groups that are boxed independently, but each retain the color / shape / size properties assigned to all nodes. Is this possible? If I delete the color information from the Groups tab, it deletes that group (i.e. melds that group into another group).

Thank you

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM

At the moment, that is not possible.  When you use the Groups feature, NodeXL takes over the colors and shapes of the groups' vertices.  Any vertex colors or shapes you've manually entered in the Vertices worksheet or filled in with AutoFill Columns get ignored.

Why is that?  It's because until recently, color and shape were the only things that NodeXL could use to distinguish one group from another.  With the recent addition of the group layout options that is no longer the case, but the color/shape behavior remains the same.

We hope to expand the flexibility of the Groups feature in future releases, and this is one of the issues we'll be looking at.

Thanks,
    Tony