NodeXL for LinkedIn network

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Can we use Node XL to create a network based on LinkedIn network data (for example) and find out the path between any two given vertices.

In the above example, if we select nodes A and D and identify the path and nodes involved to create a path from A---->D

The output will be highlighting the path  A---->B---->C---->D.

So that we can conclude there are 2 nodes B and C to establish a network between A and D, number of edges will be 3.

Does any one implemented this kind of requirement using NodeXL?

Please help me.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2011 at 5:27 AM

You are seeking the shortest path between a pair of vertices.  NodeXL will not calculate that for you.

NodeXL will calculate the graph's average geodesic distance, which is the average length of the shortest paths between all vertex pairs, and the maximum geodesic distance, which is the length of the longest shortest path (if you're still with me), but those are very different from what you are seeking.  (To calculate the average and maximum geodesic distances, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics and check Overall Graph Metrics.)

-- Tony

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Thanks Tony.

I agree with you.

I am trying to explore whether we can implement this requirement with NodeXL or not and just posted to get inputs from experienced users.

I will search for other alternatives.