Copying and pasting, adding to existing NodeXL workbook

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to combine a number of Twitter user networks into a single NodeXL Workbook. For some reason, when I try to import from a GraphML file created by the NetworkServer application into the combined workbook, Excel sometimes crashes. I've found that I can import those same GraphML files into empty workbooks with no problem. I couldn't figure out why some GraphML files were causing Excel to crash, so, I tried to copy and paste from the individual workbook to the one that combines users. However, that results in warnings like this that I don't understand:

A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name "ValidVertexLabelPositions", which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name?
- to use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes.
- to rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box.

If I click "Yes", the copied vertices are excluded from Graph Metrics calculations (and maybe from the graph?). Is there a way to copy and paste from one NodeXL workbook to another and get the resulting workbook to recognize all the entries? Normally I'd use the Import options, but I can't since they crash. My combined network is pretty big - 217000+ edges and 62,000+ vertices. I'm not sure whether or what role size plays.

Libby

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Nevermind, I found another thread that answers my question. I didn't realize the search box on the home page wasn't searching Discussions (so my RTFM attempt failed originally).

Here's the other thread: http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/242896

Sorry!

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Hello, Libby:

Searching can be confusing, as you've discovered.  Note that some questions have also been answered on the Issue Tracker tab, so you sometimes have to search there, too.  I would actually like to remove the Issue Tracker tab and keep all discussions on the Discussions tab, but 1) CodePlex doesn't allow that; and 2) you can post attachments to the Issue Tracker tab, which sometimes comes in handy, although not handy enough to justify having information spread all over the place.

-- Tony