Venn Diagrams?

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I would like to build some influence graphs (eigenvector) over labor efforts but I will need clearly split Venn diagram and measure the seven groups (A-B-C-AB-BC-AC-ABC).

Do you think that we can build a sample to prepare Proportional Venn Diagrams using Nodexl?

Kindest Regards

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Yes, you can create a Venn diagram using NodeXL.  Are you using the NodeXL Excel Template, or are you a programmer using the NodeXL class libraries in your own custom application?

-- Tony

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Thanks for your fast reply Tony. I am a user using NODEXL Excel Template :)

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I should explain that although NodeXL can be used to show a Venn diagram (and in fact is used for that in another CodePlex project), it's not very easy because you have to do the Venn-related size and position calculations yourself.  I'm sure there are other tools out there that are more appropriate for the task.

But if I haven't scared you away yet, please see the Venn Diagram Demo topic on NodeXL's Issue Tracker tab at  It includes a NodeXL workbook that shows a Venn diagram.

The workbook uses a layout algorithm called Polar Absolute, which in turn uses polar coordinates on the Vertices worksheet to specify the vertex locations.  The problem is that you have to compute those polar coordinates yourself, along with the vertex sizes, based on the data represented by the three vertices.  That's certainly doable, but it's not something that NodeXL will do for you.

There is a formula for determining the vertex Size to specify to give a vertex a specified radius in screen units.  I can tell you that formula if you decide to go ahead with this.

-- Tony

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Perfect, thanks for this answer. I will follow your recommendations