Saving High Quality Image of Large Network

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM

i've been working on a relatively large network (150+ nodes, 500+ edges) and haven't been able to figure out how to save a high quality image of the entire graph. i'd love to be able download an image that shows the entire network (which is quite large) and then be able to still zoom in on individual nodes and be able to identify them clearly. so far just right-clicking and "saving image" has not worked for me in that regard. any tips/input would be much appreciated. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:08 AM

The following may work for you:

Right click the graph pane, select Save Image to file> Image Options...>"When saving an image to a file, make the image this size:"

Select "This size" and specify the image resolution that fits your needs.

Select OK.

Right click the graph pane, select Save Image to file> Save Image...

Select save as type: BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, XPS.  I think XPS will give you a file that can be made to be scale invariant.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Thanks for the tip Marc. I had tried that but still can never get an image, which shows the whole network (this usually requires that I zoom out to the maximum) to save in a manner that allows me to zoom in to individual nodes and still see them clearly (I can't seem to get a file to save that's even 1MB in size).

Also, are there any tips for getting nodes/labels not to overlap over than just tweaking with the "scale" function in the graph window?

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM

ps- sorry for my confusion. i've managed to get higher res graphics  by maximizing the pixel size under the "image options" option (to just under the max, which seems to be 5000 x 5000 pixels). are there any other tips in this regard?

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Only that you will get the best image quality by saving as a TIFF, PNG, or JPG, in that order; and that as Marc mentioned, the XPS format will give you a scalable file with 100% fidelity.  XPS is Microsoft's vector file format, similar to PDF.

-- Tony