Error opening NodeXL

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I successfully installed NodeXL in Windows XP with SP2 in Parallels Desktop 4.0 in my Mac. But when I click on Start - All Programs - Microsoft NodeXL - Excel template, it doesn't recognize any software to open it. I have to right click on it, hit "Open with" and choose Microsoft Office Excel to open it. Then it can load the table into Excel, including columns like "Vertex 1", "Vertex 2", "Color", "Width" and so on. But the NodeXL tab was not loaded into the Ribbon. And there was an error popping up like the following. Any idea how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance. (I installed Microsoft Office Excel 2007) 

The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded. You can still edit and save the document. Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance.

Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.
   at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
   at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeAddInDeploymentManager.OnAddInInstalling(AddInInstallingArgs args, Boolean& cancel)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.RaiseOnAddInInstallingEvent(IClickOnceAddInInstaller addInInstaller, Uri deploymentManifestUri, AddInInstallationStatus addinSolutionState, String productName, Boolean alreadyInstalled)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 9.0.30729.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0.dll
System.AddIn
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.AddIn.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Please see this post regarding NodeXL and Parallels:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=231874

-- Tony

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Thanks, Tony. It works perfect now.

I like the function of drawing subgraphs for each individual node very much. But it seems that the subgraphs just have the dots and lines for vertices and edges, but without any label. Is there a way to also apply those visual properties of vertices, edges and groups in the subgraphs, e.g. vertex label, color, shape, edge opacity?

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM

The subgraph images created by NodeXL, Analysis, Subgraph Images are deliberately "sparse."  They are meant to be simple schematics that reveal the structure of the subgraphs without being cluttered with colors, shapes, and so on.  So the answer to your question is "no."

But if you have a particular subgraph you are interested in and want to extract it from the larger graph, complete with colors, shapes, and so on, do this:

* Select one of the subgraph's vertices.

* Right-click the graph pane and select Select Subgraphs from the right-click menu.

* Use the Select Subgraphs dialog box to select the subgraph.

* Use NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook to export the subgraph to a new workbook.

-- Tony

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Thanks. It sounds like a good alternative. But when I selected the subgraph and export it, I met an error: "Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue". It seems it was a null pointer error. Anyway, if it is just a subgraph of a specific node, I can generate the subgraph nodes and edges by my own program and import them in NodeXL. I was just curious if I could use NodeXL's generation of subgraphs for each node but with details. Apparently no as you said. But it is powerful enough though. I love it. Thanks very much.

Another question is whether there is a way to name group names automatically according to the values in the vertex attribute instead of G1, G2, G3... when I use "Group by Vertex Attribute"? If not, then every time I have to go over each group name to check which category it corresponds to, and change the group name to that category in the "Groups" sheet and accordingly the group names of all the vertices in the "Group Vertices" sheet.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:07 AM

If you have the time, please send me the details from the "Assertion Failed" message you are getting when you attempt to export a subgraph.  That is never supposed to occur (and I can't reproduce the problem when I try it), so I would like to investigate.  You can just press Control-C to copy the details to the clipboard when the message is on the screen.

I really like your suggestion for naming the groups by their vertex attribute values.  I've added this to NodeXL's feature request list.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Sorry for the late reply. 

First I opened two NodeXL files: the blank template file 'NodeXLGraph.xltx' and the xltx file in which data have been filled by me, let's say it's 'abc.xltx'. When I tried to copy the subgraph to a new workbook from 'abc.xltx', it popped up the following error message:

---------------------------Microsoft NodeXL---------------------------

An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[COMException]: Cannot open a copy while the template 'NodeXLGraph.xltx' is open.

Server stack trace: 

Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)  
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)  
at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbooks.Add(Object Template)  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.CopyTableToNewNodeXLWorkbook(String sWorksheetName, String sTableName, String sTemplatePath, Workbook& oNewNodeXLWorkbook)  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()

---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

Then I closed the template file 'NodeXLGraph.xltx' and tried to copy the subgraph to a new workbook from 'abc.xltx' again. This time it popped up the following error message instead:

---------------------------Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue---------------------------

at WorkbookExporter.GetOrAddTableColumn(ListColumn oSourceColumn, ListObject oNewTable)      
at WorkbookExporter.CopyRowsToNewNodeXLWorkbook(ListObject oSourceTable, Range oSourceTableRangeToCopy, Workbook oNewNodeXLWorkbook)      
at WorkbookExporter.CopyTableToNewNodeXLWorkbook(String sWorksheetName, String sTableName, String sTemplatePath, Workbook& oNewNodeXLWorkbook)      
at WorkbookExporter.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()      
at ThisWorkbook.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()      
at Ribbon.btnExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook_Click(Object sender, RibbonControlEventArgs e)      
at RibbonPropertyStorage.ControlActionRaise(IRibbonControl control)      
at RibbonPropertyStorage.ButtonClickCallback(RibbonComponent component, Object[] args)      
at RibbonManager.Invoke(RibbonComponentCallback callback, Object[] args)    
at RibbonMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)      
at RibbonManager.System.Reflection.IReflect.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters)  

---------------------------Abort   Retry   Ignore   ---------------------------

Then I hit 'Ignore', and the following error message coming up:

An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.GetOrAddTableColumn(ListColumn oSourceColumn, ListObject oNewTable)  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.CopyRowsToNewNodeXLWorkbook(ListObject oSourceTable, Range oSourceTableRangeToCopy, Workbook oNewNodeXLWorkbook)  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.CopyTableToNewNodeXLWorkbook(String sWorksheetName, String sTableName, String sTemplatePath, Workbook& oNewNodeXLWorkbook)  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()  
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM

The problem is that you are opening the NodeXL template in Excel instead of creating a new NodeXL workbook from the NodeXL template.  You should never see ".xltx" at the end of a NodeXL workbook file name.  It should always be ".xlsx".

Assuming that you are using a recent version of NodeXL, the usual way to create a NodeXL workbook is by going to the Windows Start menu and selecting All Programs, Microsoft NodeXL, Excel Template.  That will create a new NodeXL workbook from the NodeXL template.  When you save the file, it will be given an ".xlsx" file extension.

If you figured out where the NodeXL template file is stored and you are tempted to open it using Excel's Round Button, Open menu item, don't do it.  That will lead to the problem you are seeing.  If you don't want to use the Windows Start menu and prefer to stay entirely within Excel when creating workbooks, use Round Button, New, New from existing instead.

-- Tony

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Now I started over all the things. I went to the Windows Start menu, All Programs, Microsoft NodeXL, Excel Template. Then I filled the data in the NodeXL workbook and save it as "newfile.xlsx".

Then I tried to copy the subgraph to a new workbook from "newfile.xlsx", it still gave me this exception:

---------------------------Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue---------------------------

at WorkbookExporter.GetOrAddTableColumn(ListColumn oSourceColumn, ListObject oNewTable)      
at WorkbookExporter.CopyRowsToNewNodeXLWorkbook(ListObject oSourceTable, Range oSourceTableRangeToCopy, Workbook oNewNodeXLWorkbook)      
at WorkbookExporter.CopyTableToNewNodeXLWorkbook(String sWorksheetName, String sTableName, String sTemplatePath, Workbook& oNewNodeXLWorkbook)      
at WorkbookExporter.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()      
at ThisWorkbook.ExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook()      
at Ribbon.btnExportSelectionToNewNodeXLWorkbook_Click(Object sender, RibbonControlEventArgs e)      
at RibbonPropertyStorage.ControlActionRaise(IRibbonControl control)      
at RibbonPropertyStorage.ButtonClickCallback(RibbonComponent component, Object[] args)      
at RibbonManager.Invoke(RibbonComponentCallback callback, Object[] args)     
at RibbonMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)      
at RibbonManager.System.Reflection.IReflect.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters)  

---------------------------Abort   Retry   Ignore   ---------------------------

I hit 'Ignore', and the following error message coming up:

Details:

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.GetOrAddTableColumn(ListColumn oSourceColumn, ListObject oNewTable)   
at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorkbookExporter.CopyRowsToNewNodeXLWorkbook(ListObject oSourceTable, Range oSourceTableRangeToCopy, Workbook oNewNodeXLWorkbook)   

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:29 PM

The program is complaining about a corrupted Excel table, which makes me wonder if perhaps you inadvertently edited the NodeXL template file when you opened it directly earlier.  I suggest uninstalling NodeXL and installing it again, which will restore the NodeXL template file to its original state.

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hello,

I encountered which looks like the same problem as described by ryanbuua at the top of this page, except the notification is partly in french (nobody is perfect!):

The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded. You can still edit and save the document. Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance.

An error occured during customization install. To remedy this problem, click Details dor more information and contact your system administrator

Details

Name: 

URI non valide : Impossible d'analyser le nom d'hôte.
************** Exception Text **************

System.UriFormatException: URI non valide : Impossible d'analyser le nom d'hôte.   à System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)   à System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)

à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeAddInDeploymentManager.OnAddInInstalling(AddInInstallingArgs args, Boolean& cancel)  

à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.RaiseOnAddInInstallingEvent(IClickOnceAddInInstaller addInInstaller, Uri deploymentManifestUri, AddInInstallationStatus addinSolutionState, String productName, Boolean alreadyInstalled)  

à Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

I tried the solution proposed by tcap479 and reinstalled NodeXL but it did not change anything...

I would be grateful to get another suggestion

All the best

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Are you saying that you are using Parallels on a Mac, that you tried the following solution, and the problem still occurs?

"...I finally got it working on my parallels installation.  ...I disabled "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" in the Virtual Machine -> Configuration -> Shared Folders, then install NodeXL, it seems to work fine.  I was even able to enable Shared folders after I had installed NodeXL and I can still access it.  So I think you were right the ".psf" is confusing the install somehow."

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Hello, Yes exactly, sorry if it was not clear. I work on a MacBook Pro, and I use Parallels Desktop 5 and Excel 2007. I understood the solution described below as you can see on the attached screen capture. Thanks in advance! all the best. Le 16 mars 2011 à 18:55, tcap479 a écrit : > From: tcap479 > > Are you saying that you are using Parallels on a Mac, that you tried the following solution, and the problem still occurs? > > "...I finally got it working on my parallels installation. ...I disabled "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" in the Virtual Machine -> Configuration -> Shared Folders, then install NodeXL, it seems to work fine. I was even able to enable Shared folders after I had installed NodeXL and I can still access it. So I think you were right the ".psf" is confusing the install somehow." > > -- Tony > > Read the full discussion online. > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > Madeleine Akrich Hello,

Yes exactly, sorry if it was not clear. I work on a MacBook Pro, and I use Parallels Desktop 5 and Excel 2007. I understood the solution described below as you can see on the attached screen capture.

Thanks in advance!

all the best.

Le 16 mars 2011 à 18:55, tcap479 a écrit :

Are you saying that you are using Parallels on a Mac, that you tried the following solution, and the problem still occurs?

"...I finally got it working on my parallels installation. ...I disabled "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" in the Virtual Machine -> Configuration -> Shared Folders, then install NodeXL, it seems to work fine. I was even able to enable Shared folders after I had installed NodeXL and I can still access it. So I think you were right the ".psf" is confusing the install somehow."

-- Tony

Madeleine Akrich

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac/Parallels machine to try this on.  I've only heard secondhand that the trick of disabling "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" before installing NodeXL (you did disable it before installing NodeXL, right?) has fixed the problem for others.

Perhaps other Parallels users can help us here.

(By the way, your screenshot didn't make it through.  You probably responded by email and CodePlex doesn't accept email attachments.  If you think the screenshot might be helpful, you can create a new item on the CodePlex Issue Tracker tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic and attach your screenshot there.  You don't have to explain anything; just attach the screenshot.)

-- Tony

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Thank you again. In fact I realised I had disabled the access to windows folders from the mac (the other way round). Disabling the access to all Mac OS X folders from windows solved the problem without even reinstalling NodeXL. It is also possible to keep an access to a selection of Mac OS X folders (what they call in french "dossier d'accueil"- Home folder I guess in english - and whose content can be defined by the user): NodeXL still works within this configuration.

Thanks again.

madeleine

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Thank you for letting us know, Madeleine.

-- Tony