FB fan pages & NodeXL

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hello, I want to run a network map on a Facebook group page, not my personal page. Is this possible if I'm granted admin rights to the group page?

thank you, Gina

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Hi Gina,

Indeed, this is possible and you don't even need to be a group admin (which some may consider a feature, others a bug). My program doesn't do it, but it is available through netvizz:

However, a word of caution: Facebook only returns up to 500 names from a group, and the actual names are a bit random. Thus, you are going to get a network, but it won't be a perfect / complete network of the group. (Just like when you use the Twitter spigot and limit the number of friends to 100, even if you have more than 100 friends / followers).

Take care,

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

You are awesome! Thanks!

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

One more question...am I able to import the Netvizz .gdf file into NodeXL? Thx, G.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM

No, not directly.  However, if you can figure out how to convert the gdf file to a GraphML file, then NodeXL can import the GraphML file.  (GraphML is a simple but powerful XML-based file format used by a number of network applications, including NodeXL.)  Perhaps someone else reading this knows how to convert a gdf file to a GraphML file.

-- Tony

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I tried using netvizz; but, it's written there

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/fbapi/netvizz/index.php on line 91

Do you have any idea why this problem occurs? And if there's any way to fix the problems?

Thank you!

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

If there is a netvizz forum somewhere, you should try posting your question there.

-- Tony