Support for inporting Gmail data?

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to NodeXL, and was really interested in importing gmail data to construct a network of my personal Gmail contacts.  Gmail supports POP, is there any way to make it work here?

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Yes, it is possible to get Gmail data into NodeXL.  

As you note, Gmail has a POP interface.  As a result a number of free desktop email clients can connect to Gmail and create a local copy of your email collection.

Once the email has been collected into local files by the email client, the Windows Search Index will begin to index all the content in the email.  Depending on the volume of email, this may take a few hours to complete.

When the index has updated and all email has been processed, it is then simple to use the NodeXL>Data>Import>From Email feature to import the "reply graph" created when one person replies to another person's message.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you have any recommendations on Windows email clients that will quickly and thoroughly index my Gmail information? Thanks.
Oct 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Take a look at Windows Live Mail, Microsoft's free email client:

-- Tony

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Thanks Tony,

I noticed that when trying to import my email data into NodeXL, it simply gives me the prompt "No such emails were found."  Could you offer some insight as to how this can be troubleshooted?  Thanks.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM

One quick test is to use the desktop search to see if any emails appear in results.

Create a search by going to the Windows Start Menu and entering a keyword you know to be present in an email.  If it does not appear in the search results then your index does not yet contain the message and either indexing has just not yet completed or an error has occurred.

If you get the email returned in the results and NodeXL still does not return the result, there may be an error in the query.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Also, see "Desktop Search not indexing Windows Live Mail messages" at

-- Tony