How to exclude pairs of vertex in metrics calculation

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if it is possible to exclude a pair of vertex when calculating the metrix. As example if I have this vertex:

Vertex1                Vertex2

John                     Bob

John                     Tom

John                      Kelly

Is it possible to calculate the vertex metrics avoiding to consider the relation between John and Bob, so considering only the relationship between John and Tom and John and Kelly?

Thank you very much.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Yes.  On the Edges worksheet, change the Visibility column cell for the John and Bob row to "Skip."  This will cause the row to be skipped when calculating graph metrics.

If you don't see a Visibility column on the Edges worksheet, it's because it's been hidden.  In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns, and make sure that Visual Properties is checked.

Please note that "Skip" rows are also skipped when you refresh the graph.  In other words, the skipped edge won't show up in the graph pane.

-- Tony

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Thank you very much, it works!

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Hi all,

How I can do the same in my C# app ? 

Thank you,

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM

The Excel Template accomplishes this by ignoring worksheet rows that have Visibility set to Skip.  It simply skips them when the workbook is read, and so they never make it into the Graph object.  You will have to do something similar in your own application.  There is nothing built into the NodeXL Class Libraries that will allow existing Edge or Vertex objects to be ignored when calculating graph metrics.

-- Tony