install directory and no Microsoft Research folder

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to get NodeXL running on my new machine, and I'm running into a couple problems. First, let me apologize for being Windows-clueless. NodeXL is the only thing I have on a Windows box, so I'm essentially a n00b here. Maybe my issues related to 32-bit v 64-bit OS?

First, even when I run Setup as an Admin, it installs to C:\Users\Libby\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\NodeXLGraph.xltx instead of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXLExcel Template. 

Second, it doesn't appear to install a Microsoft Research folder anywhere which means I have no Network Server program or docs.

I seem to be able to use NodeXL's template ok when I open Excel. What can I do to get it installed in the right place and with the Network Server goodies?

I'm running Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit), Office 2010, NodeXL v 1.0.1.137.

Thank you!

Libby

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hello, Libby:

On a 64-bit Windows machine, NodeXL will get installed into this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXLExcel Template

Please look there for the NodeXLNetworkServer.exe program, the NodeXLNetworkServerFAQ.docx document, and the SampleNetworkConfiguration.xml sample file.

Can you tell me which instructions you were following?  I should update those instructions to note the different folder on 64-bit machines.

Thanks,
    Tony

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, Tony!

I was looking at the Network Server FAQs on Marc's blog: http://www.connectedaction.net/2010/06/14/new-nodexl-network-server-v1-0-1-126-frequently-asked-questions/

I also read the NodeXL Network Server thread in the Discussions: http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=216532

Both of those are where I found the 32-bit install directory. My search didn't find any of those Microsoft Research documents and still doesn't, but I can navigate to them via the 64-bit path you sent. 

Other than that, I was just following the Installation Steps on the Download page (which don't mention either install directory). Those work fine if I just want to run the template; I ran into trouble only when trying to get the Network Server running.

Libby

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Libby:

Our documentation on the Network Server is a bit sketchy. The program was originally intended for a particular user (read: "Marc"), and so I didn't take the time to thoroughly document it. This also explains why you have to edit a techie XML file to configure it -- a program aimed at a wider audience would provide a standard configuration window with text boxes and such. We may have to revisit the assumptions we made about how many people would be using this.

In the meantime, let me or Marc know if you have any questions about setting the program up, particularly if you want to schedule it to run periodically. It depends on a built-in Windows program called Task Scheduler that is reasonably easy to use once you've gone through the process, but we can answer questions about anything that isn't obvious.

-- Tony

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Thanks, Tony!

I'm comfortable in XML and am hoping my experience automating tasks in other OSes will get me through Task Scheduler. I'll keep track of how I get the Network Server running so there's a head start on docs in case they'll be useful later.

Libby