NodeXL: how to render multiple edges?

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM
How can I represent multiple edges between two nodes?

John R. Rodgers, Ph.D.
Department of Pathology & Immunology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas 77030
fax: 713-798-3700

"One can study only what one has first dreamed
about. Science is formed rather on a reverie
than on an experiment, and it takes a good many experiments to dispel the mists of the dream."
- Claude Bachelard,1938 "The Psychoanalysis of Fire", Beacon Press, p. 22 (Eng. translation by Alan Ross, 1964
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

You may have missed my answer to your previous question here:

Here is a copy of my answer:

NodeXL currently draws duplicate edges on top of each other, which makes them indistinguishable. We're talking about how we might add "intelligent edge routing" that would instead draw them next to each other, but for the moment I can only offer a couple of workarounds:

1. If you are interested mostly in the number of duplicate edges between nodes, you can merge duplicate edges (NodeXL, Prepare Data, Merge Duplicate Edges), which will add an Edge Weight column to the Edges worksheet. You can then autofill the Width column on the Edges worksheet (NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns) based on the values in the Edge Weight column. Thus, edges between people who have more kinds of social interactions will be wider.

2. For small graphs, some people have had success manually increasing the Width of the duplicate edges while simultaneously reducing their opacity, which makes the duplicate edges visible even though they are on top of each other.

-- Tony