Install error: Error 1001

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM
I'm trying to install NodeXL on my laptop, running Windows XP. When I run the setup file, I get the following error message: Error 1001. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Security.UserInclusionList' threw an exception. --> Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral... When I click OK, I get: Error 1001. An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete. --> The savedState dictionary does not contain the expected values and might have been corrupted. When I click OK again, I get: Error 1001. Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplateSetupClickOnceInstaller.InstallState'. Any advice on what to do?
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Is this your own personal laptop, or one managed by your company's IT department?  I ask because many of the setup issues we've run into involve computers that, for security reasons, have been "locked down" to prevent the installation of certain types of software.  The word "security" in the error message and the fact that it's occurring in a part of the program that's supposed to grant you the right to use NodeXL make me wonder if your machine has been locked down.

-- Tony

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM
Thanks for getting back to me, Tony. I just had our IT guy check out my security/admin settings, and he says there's nothing blocking me from the installation. He thinks it might be an issue with Excel permissions. Is that an issue you've seen before?
Jul 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM

No, this is a new one.  Can you please post the first error message in its entirety?  The one that starts with "Error 1001. The type initializer," that is.  (I'm assuming the error message can be copy-pasted.)

Also, please try reinstalling the "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System (version 3.0 Runtime) Service Pack 1 (x86)."  This is a piece of required software that is supposed to be automatically installed with NodeXL, but perhaps something went wrong during its installation.  (The error message is coming from that particular piece.)  You can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=D8EB4921-891A-4B5E-973F-0B96E6CCF376&displaylang=en

Also, you ARE an administrator on your laptop, correct?

-- Tony

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM
Tony, thanks for your help - I got it straightened out. The Service Pack did not install automatically when I started to install NodeXL, probably because I had other Office programs open. Once I closed everything and turned off the anti-virus programs I had no trouble.
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting me know.

-- Tony

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Hi Tony,

I have the same problem as the original poster. I get the exact same message. I am convinced it is not a security issue. Never had any problems installing other software. I closed all Microsoft Office programs before installing. I reinstalled Visual Studio Tools. Still not working. I use Excel 2007.

You asked before for the complete error message. However, all that is displayed in the error messages is already reproduced by mlew13. The first message stops after: 'neutral...'.

I hope you can help.

Maarten

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Maarten:

It's still complaining about the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System.  Perhaps that didn't really get successfully installed.

Please try the following:

1. If NodeXL shows up in your list of installed programs in Control Panel, uninstall it.  (It probably doesn't show up there.)

2. Restart your computer.

3. Install the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System again.  It's at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=D8EB4921-891A-4B5E-973F-0B96E6CCF376&displaylang=en.  (If it's already installed, running its setup program again won't hurt anything.)

4. Install NodeXL again.

-- Tony