SNAP Graph Metrics Executable missing?

May 5, 2010 at 1:58 AM

I've been working with a relatively small network for a project.  I have about 300 edges.  When I calculate metrics like degrees, there are no issues.  However, if I try to compute centrality, or things like PageRank, it gives me an error stating that "The executable that calculates SNAP graph metrics can't be found."  I have pasted the full error message below.  I merged the duplicate edges, since there was a warning about that when computer metrics, but it didn't solve any of the issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---------------------------Microsoft NodeXL---------------------------An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to

[IOException]: The executable that calculates SNAP graph metrics can't be found.  See the comments for the GraphMetricCalculatorBase.SetSnapGraphMetricCalculatorPath() method.

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.GraphMetricCalculatorBase.TryCallSnapGraphMetricCalculator(String sArguments, String& sStandardError)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.GraphMetricCalculatorBase.CalculateSnapGraphMetrics(IGraph oGraph, SnapGraphMetrics eSnapGraphMetrics)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.ClusterCalculator.TryCalculateClustersSnap(IGraph oGraph, SnapGraphMetrics eSnapGraphMetric, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, Object& oGraphMetrics)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.ClusterCalculator.TryCalculateGraphMetricsCore(IGraph oGraph, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, Object& oGraphMetrics)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.ClusterCalculator.TryCalculateGraphMetrics(IGraph graph, BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker, ICollection`1& communities)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ClusterCalculator2.TryCalculateGraphMetrics(IGraph graph, CalculateGraphMetricsContext calculateGraphMetricsContext, GraphMetricColumn[]& graphMetricColumns)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphMetricCalculationManager.CalculateGraphMetricsAsyncInternal(CalculateGraphMetricsAsyncArgs oCalculateGraphMetricsAsyncArgs, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, DoWorkEventArgs oDoWorkEventArgs)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphMetricCalculationManager.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

May 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Using Windows Explorer, please look in one of these two folders and tell me if a file called SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe is in the folder.

* If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, look in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

* If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, look in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

-- Tony

May 5, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the response.  I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am running Windows 7 64-bit, and the Office 2010 Beta.  I checked the folder you mentioned, and the SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe file is present in the folder.

May 5, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Okay, this may take a bit of detective work.  Yours is the first case where I've heard of this happening.

Next step: With a NodeXL workbook open, go to NodeXL, Data, Import in the Excel ribbon.  Below the "From Email Network" menu item, do you see more menu items having to do with Flickr, Twitter, and YouTube?  (These may seem unrelated to graph metrics, but they all have to do with NodeXL's ability to find things in that folder.)

May 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM

I hadn't noticed it until now (I was manually entering in info), but those items are all missing from the Import menu.  I had a problem where I tried to install it while running the Office 2010 Click-to-Run beta previously, but I uninstalled Office and NodeXL, and reinstalled the correct version of Office, and reinstalled NodeXL.  I wonder if this could have anything to do with these items being missing.

May 5, 2010 at 4:37 AM

It does sound like something went wrong during the Office Beta/NodeXL setup process, although I'm not sure what.  Please try this:

1. Uninstall NodeXL.  DO THIS USING THE NODEXL SETUP PROGRAM, not using Control Panel, Programs and Features.  In the NodeXL setup program, select the Uninstall option, not the Repair option.

2. In Windows Explorer, see if the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template exists.  If it does, delete it and everything in it.

3. Run the NodeXL setup program again to reinstall NodeXL.

4. Look at the NodeXL, Data, Import menu again.  Do the Flickr, Twitter, and YouTube menu items appear now?

-- Tony

May 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM

And if things still aren't working, please do this:

1. In the Windows Start menu, run All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.  This will open an (ugly) Command Prompt window.

2. In the Command Prompt window, enter Set and hit return.  This will cause a list of information to appear.  In that list, there should be a line that starts with ProgramFiles(x86).  You may have to scroll the window to find it.  Does the complete line look like this?

ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)

-- Tony

May 5, 2010 at 4:46 AM

I followed your instructions, and the Flickr, Twitter and YouTube menu items were still missing.  I also ran the command prompt instructions, and the line beginning with ProgramFiles(x86) matched what you had in your post.  Are there any Windows services that may be required by NodeXL to run these?  I do have some disabled, and I'm wondering if that could have caused the issues.

May 5, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Hmm, I have to think about this one.  If you're interested, here is how things are supposed to work:

1. NodeXL needs the file called SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe to calculate some of its metrics.

2. NodeXL asks Windows where its standard Program Files (x86) folder is.  In your case, Windows should be telling NodeXL that the folder is at C:\Program Files (x86).

3. NodeXL looks for SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe in the subfolder called Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template.  In your case, it's not finding SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe, even though we've already determined it's there.

I don't know offhand of any turned-off services that would get in the way of this process, but something is obviously going wrong.  I'll get back to you about this on Wednesday.  Worse comes to worse, I can send you a separate, very small program that does nothing but print the results of steps 2 and 3 on the screen, which might help me figure this out.

-- Tony

May 5, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Thanks so much for all the help so far.  I am interested in figuring out how to fix it, troubleshooting is always a fun challenge.  Please let me know if you need any other information.  I appreciate the help in figuring out this issue.

May 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I figured out the problem, which has to do with folder paths in 64-bit vs. 32-bit versions of Office 2010 Beta.  I plan to fix this problem before Office 2010 is released.  In the meantime, if you need to calculate all of NodeXL's graph metrics when using 64-bit Office 2010 Beta, here is a short-term workaround:

* Create this folder, being sure to spell the subfolder names exactly as shown here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

* Copy the file SnapGraphMetricCalculator.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

-- Tony

May 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM

That solution worked perfectly!  Thanks so much for all the help.