Dynamic filtering on graph metrics

May 2, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Can't get this to work.  I calculated graph metrics in the vertex table but the dynamic filter does not seem to detect their presence, even when I click the "Refresh filters" in the filtering dialogue box before hand.  Dynamic filtering does not give any options to filter on besides "X" and "Y"

May 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Edward:

Do the graph metrics have a range of values?  If all the values in a column are the same, there will be no dynamic filter for that column.

Try this simple experiment:

1. In a new NodeXL workbook, enter two edges in the Edges worksheet: A,B and A,C.

2. Using NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics, compute all metrics.

3. Refresh the graph.

4. Click NodeXL, Analysis, Dynamic Filters.

On my computer, I get dynamic filters for several graph metrics and the X and Y columns.  What happens on yours?

-- Tony

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

HI there, 

I just did this experiment and it worked. 


However I have the same problem as Edward - with a larger data set I have calculated the overall metrics but there is no change in the dynamic filters. 

I specifically checked the box for betweeness and closeness centrality but the filters are limited to X and Y columns..

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Amy:

You know that the list of filter scrolls up and down and the entire dialog box can be resized, right?  I want to make sure that this isn't just a problem of scrolling hidden filters into view.

If that's not the problem, then I'll need to see the workbook in which this is occurring.  Can you please create a new issue on the "Issue Tracker" tab at CodePlex, where you can include the workbook as an attachment.  (The Discussions tab doesn't allow attachments.)  It's at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic.  You don't need to explain anything in the new issue; I'll know what it is.

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Thank you very much for getting back to me!

I imagine you have already seen this but I have done as you asked.

I scrolled to the bottom of the Dynamic filters box and there was nothing there.

Thanks again,

Amy

On Monday, 13 February 2012 at 17:16, tcap479 wrote:

From: tcap479

Amy:

You know that the list of filter scrolls up and down and the entire dialog box can be resized, right? I want to make sure that this isn't just a problem of scrolling hidden filters into view.

If that's not the problem, then I'll need to see the workbook in which this is occurring. Can you please create a new issue on the "Issue Tracker" tab at CodePlex, where you can include the workbook as an attachment. (The Discussions tab doesn't allow attachments.) It's at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic. You don't need to explain anything in the new issue; I'll know what it is.

Thanks,
Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com


Feb 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Amy:

There is a chain of problems in the workbook you posted.  Starting from the top:

1. The Dynamic Filters dialog box doesn't show a filter for Betweenness Centrality, for example, because the first cell in the Betweenness Centrality column is empty.  That's NodeXL's somewhat crude way of skipping empty columns -- it just checks the first cell.

2. The first cell in the Betweenness Centrality column is empty because the NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics feature didn't fill in that cell.

3. The Graph Metrics feature didn't fill in the first cell, which is for the vertex named unaids.org, but it did fill in the other cell for unaids.org, which is at row 987.  There are two rows for unaids.org, when there should only be one.

So the root cause of the problem is that you have many duplicate rows in the Vertices worksheet.  Any idea how that happened?

Regardless, you can fix the problem by copy/pasting the values in the Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 columns on the Edges worksheet to a new NodeXL workbook, then running Graph Metrics again.  The Dynamic Filters in the new workbook should then work as expected.

-- Tony

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM
wow! Amazing! Thank you this is really helpful - no idea how that happened but it is useful to know not to have duplicate rows from now on…
Thanks again!
Amy

On Monday, 13 February 2012 at 22:40, tcap479 wrote:

From: tcap479

Amy:

There is a chain of problems in the workbook you posted. Starting from the top:

1. The Dynamic Filters dialog box doesn't show a filter for Betweenness Centrality, for example, because the first cell in the Betweenness Centrality column is empty. That's NodeXL's somewhat crude way of skipping empty columns -- it just checks the first cell.

2. The first cell in the Betweenness Centrality column is empty because the NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics feature didn't fill in that cell.

3. The Graph Metrics feature didn't fill in the first cell, which is for the vertex named unaids.org, but it did fill in the other cell for unaids.org, which is at row 987. There are two rows for unaids.org, when there should only be one.

So the root cause of the problem is that you have many duplicate rows in the Vertices worksheet. Any idea how that happened?

Regardless, you can fix the problem by copy/pasting the values in the Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 columns on the Edges worksheet to a new NodeXL workbook, then running Graph Metrics again. The Dynamic Filters in the new workbook should then work as expected.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This is very useful to know about. 

I actually told the person about this information who provided the original Pajek file and they found it interesting also. We have a question, however. The Pajek file deos not have duplicate rows and so they seem to be generated in the Node XL import. Do you happen to know why this might be at all?

 

Thanks again for your help.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

No, that shouldn't be happening.  Are you able to share the Pajek file?  If you can attach it to the Issue you created at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/22213,  I can try it myself and see what's going on.

-- Tony

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Finally, sorry to bother you but I was just wondering if it was possible to change my username on Codeplex?
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I don't know.  Check here: http://codeplex.codeplex.com/discussions.

-- Tony

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM

The first Pajek file you posted at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/22213 is defective, and NodeXL will tell you so if you attempt to import it.  It's missing a required "*Arcs" line at line 554.

The second Pajek file you posted has trailing spaces on some of the vertex names ("aidsalliance.org " on line 36, for example), which NodeXL isn't handling properly.  Each such vertex name gets accidentally duplicated in the Vertices worksheet.  I've filed a NodeXL bug report on this.  In the meantime, you can work around the problem by removing the trailing spaces before you import the file into NodeXL.

-- Tony

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
great. thanks again. Useful to know.

On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 22:30, tcap479 wrote:

From: tcap479

The first Pajek file you posted at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/22213 is defective, and NodeXL will tell you so if you attempt to import it. It's missing a required "*Arcs" line at line 554.

The second Pajek file you posted has trailing spaces on some of the vertex names ("aidsalliance.org " on line 36, for example), which NodeXL isn't handling properly. Each such vertex name gets accidentally duplicated in the Vertices worksheet. I've filed a NodeXL bug report on this. In the meantime, you can work around the problem by removing the trailing spaces before you import the file into NodeXL.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com