Network analysis in NodeXL usually requires a set of steps to prepare data for analysis.
NodeXL Data Analysis Task List: Steps for data import, scrub, analysis, and visualization
Most data analysis tasks with NodeXL will follow a common set of steps:
* Merge duplicate edges
* Calculate (ALL) network metrics
* Create clusters
* Insert sub-graph images
* Sort edge list in a way that usefully effects the order of layout in the graph display
* Auto-fill columns (and map data to display attributes): Set shape, color, opacity, size, and label/tooltip
* Show graph
* Read workbook
* Adjust layout
* Dynamic Filters – selectively hide edges and nodes
* Layout Again
* Return to spreadsheet to sort or calculate data
* Integrate additional edge lists
Did I miss any steps that you use? There are multiple analytic goals for network data sets that guide what happens next.
What are your goals for network analysis?