The NodeXL Excel template displays a network graph using edge and vertex lists stored in an Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 workbook.
Please help support the development of NodeXL with your donation
This release introduces grouping by motif simplification
, which is a new way to reduce the visual complexity of your graph. With motif simplification, common repeating network motifs are replaced with easily understandable glyphs that require less space, are easier to understand, and reveal hidden relationships.
NodeXL can group the graph's vertices using three kinds of motifs. Using fan motifs
helps get rid of the large fans of singly-connected vertices around the edge of your graph. Connector motifs
, instead, focus on redundant connections between a pair of anchor vertices. Finally, cliques
allow you to simplify completely connected groups of vertices.
To use this new feature, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, By Motif in the ribbon.
This work was done by Cody Dunne and Ben Shneiderman at the University of Maryland. For more information about their work, please see HCIL-2012-29
See the Complete NodeXL Release History
for details on additional changes in this release.
Follow these steps to install and use the template:
Installing for multiple users:
- Download the Zip file.
- Unzip it into any folder. Use WinZip or a similar program, or just right-click the Zip file in Windows Explorer and select "Extract All."
- Close Excel if it's open.
- Run Setup.exe. You need to be an administrator to do this. (You don't need to be an administrator to actually use the NodeXL template once it's installed, however.) The setup program might install some Microsoft prerequisites. These are the Microsoft. .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, the Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies, and the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Office System 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1.
- Delete the unzipped files. They're no longer needed.
- Register. If you didn't register while running Setup.exe, please do so here. Registration is optional.
- Use the template. In the Windows Start menu, click "All Programs" (Windows 7 or Vista) or "Programs" (XP), then "NodeXL," then "Excel Template."
There is an option in the setup program to install for "Just Me" or "Everyone." Most people should accept the default "Just Me" option. If you think you need the "Everyone" option, please see How to install NodeXL for multiple users
for more information.
- Windows 7, Vista, or XP. (Will also work within Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion on the Mac.)
- Office 2007 or 2010.
Please see the Complete NodeXL Release History