Feature Request: Legend for Clusters

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Here's a 'perfect world' feature I would like, but readily admit it won't happen anytime soon.

A legend for clusters. It would be represented in either the graph pane or in the legend, with an example node from the cluster (i.e. if the cluster is yellow diamonds the key will have an example yellow diamond node). Next to the example node will be a label. The default label would be simply the cluster name 'c1' or whatever, but it could be changed with a new label column in the cluster sheet. Users can then manually label the clusters in the graph.

Again, something for the longshot feature folder.

Take care,

BERNiE

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Good idea.  I've added it to the feature request list that I maintain.

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Okay - so while I'm on a role, is is possible to bind an action to a double click on the graph window?

If so, then having the behavior for double click be 'select neighboring nodes' would be awesome.

This would help node rearrangement dramatically. (perhaps more than a lasso). Consider this graph (http://tweetphoto.com/12026645) - you can see lots of isolated components. Lassoing them is difficult since they are generally spheroid in shape, but being able to select a node's neighbors would completely ease the pain of laying this out manually.

BERNiE

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM

We will add that to the pending work items list.

Please note that if you right-click a node you can Select Adjacent Vertices which will produce the behavior you describe.

Thanks for the great ideas for improving NodeXL!

-

Marc

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I did not know that! Thanks Marc,

That's totally sufficient.

But that said, if there is a doubleclick listener then certainly it can be used for something.

Bernie.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Bernie:

The double-click behavior you suggested will be in the next NodeXL release, which will be version 1.0.1.113.

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM

[edit for tone - I was ill and cranky yesterday]

I'm curious about the ability to select a stroke color in addition to a fill color for the nodes. When trying to reproduce in black and white, it is handy to be able to have a black stroke around a white circle or triangle. These hollow diamonds and circles seem like a kludge to that end. Relative to the other thinsgs I've asked for  (double clicking, creating a key, components or different clusters), I believe this to be more important because this one creates a fundamental limitation on how nodes can be drawn.

I assume that this wasn't done for performance reasons (namely it would require drawing twice as many node glyphs on the screen). But nonetheless, its making it difficult to draw in B&W. </rant>

BERNiE

P.S. I still think this software is awesome.