NodeXL problems on 64bit Windows 7

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Had an issue on running NodeXL on a Dell XPS m1530 with 64bit  Windows7.   I am using Office 2007.

My guess is the components like visual studio etc are not compatible with Windows 7?

Error message tesxt reads:

Name:

From: file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)

at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM

You didn't say what you were doing when this message appeared, but I'll assume that you were attempting to open a NodeXL workbook created on another machine.  If so, this is a known bug that arises when you exchange workbooks between 32-bit and 64-bit machines.  The temporary workaround for the bug is to open the workbook using NodeXL, Import, From NodeXL Workbook Created on Another Computer in the Excel ribbon.

Apart from that annoying problem, NodeXL will indeed work on 64-bit Windows.  That's what I use and I run NodeXL all day.

-- Tony

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Thanks for the repsonse.  The error happened when I clicked on the START menu then selected the Microsft NodeXL folder and then the Excel 2007 Template file. 

When I opened Excel and try to open the Template file from within Excel I get this message:

==================

Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)
   at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.ICreateCustomizationDomain.CreateCustomizationDomain(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)

===================

and now when I rebooted, and re-installed the application I get this message:

===================

Microsoft Excel has stopped working and a refernce to this file (which I cannot open)

C:\Users\EK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6604.tmp.hdmp

===================

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Whne I click further on the error message I get this:

Microsoft Office Document Custmization

The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded.  You can still edit and save the document.  Contact your admisinstrator  ofr further assistance.

Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)
   at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.ICreateCustomizationDomain.CreateCustomizationDomain(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Did you change the installation folder when you ran NodeXL's setup program?  I ask because one of the error messages mentions "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template".  On a 64-bit machine, that path should be "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template".  I don't know if this is related to the problem you're seeing; I'm just trying to figure out how NodeXL is set up on your computer.

-- Tony

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM
tcap479 wrote:

You didn't say what you were doing when this message appeared, but I'll assume that you were attempting to open a NodeXL workbook created on another machine.  If so, this is a known bug that arises when you exchange workbooks between 32-bit and 64-bit machines.  The temporary workaround for the bug is to open the workbook using NodeXL, Import, From NodeXL Workbook Created on Another Computer in the Excel ribbon.

Apart from that annoying problem, NodeXL will indeed work on 64-bit Windows.  That's what I use and I run NodeXL all day.

-- Tony

Tony,

Are you refering to Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Peter

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I run 64-bit Windows 7, but the problem reported here will also arise on 64-bit Vista.

Although the bug I mentioned arises in this particular scenario, it's not directly caused by the 64-bit architecture; it's caused by the difference in installation folders on different machines.  NodeXL's setup program embeds the path to the NodeXL installation folder inside the NodeXL template, so that the NodeXL software can be found when a workbook created from the template is opened.  That works fine if you only open workbooks created on your machine or on another machine with the same installation folder.  When you attempt to open a workbook created on a machine with a different installation folder, the system software responsible for finding the NodeXL software looks for a folder that doesn't exist and fails.

-- Tony

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Tony, I did not change anything.  I saved the downloaded zip file to a folder in C:\Users\EK\Documents\~Download Images and then ran  the setup.exe from there after I unzipped it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

eckhardtk:

If you have the time, please uninstall NodeXL using Control Panel, Programs and Features, then run the NodeXL setup program again.  When you get to the "Select Installation Folder" screen in the setup wizard, copy the "Folder" text box contents and paste them here, and then finish the setup.  The Folder text box contents should start with "C:\Program Files...".

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Tony - did as you asked, uninstalled the NodeXL thru Control Panel and re-installed.   At the Select Installation Folder I am given the path as you see above.....   

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM

eckhardtk:

There is something wrong with the NodeXLGraph.xltx template file on your machine.  That's the Excel template from which Excel creates new NodeXL workbooks.  Can you send it to me so I can look at it?  Here is an easy way to get to the template file:

1. Open Excel.

2. Select Round Office Button, New, My Templates.

3. In the New dialog box, right-click NodeXLGraph.xltx and select Copy.

4. Right-click on your desktop and click Paste.  That will copy the NodeXL template to your desktop, and you can email it from there.

I've sent you an email address where you can send the template file.

Thanks,
    Tony

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Offline, Eckhardt and I solved the real problem here, which is the one that causes the error message "Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection."  See the solution in "Strange error message when attempting to show graph" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=85232.

-- Tony

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Just wanted to express my thanks and appreciation to Tony for sorting through the issues and finding a solution that works.  Its a kick-ass program!!