Customization could not be loaded because the application domain could not be created

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM

I've installed the newest version of NodeXL. The error message that pops up says "The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded. You can still edit and save the document. Customization could not be loaded because the application domain could not be created." 

Yes, I open the excel template from a "trusted location," but it still doesn't load. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Customization could not be loaded because the application domain could not be create

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Here are a few comments I found online while searching for the cause of the error you're seeing:

* "This exception is often caused by an error in the security configuration on the computer that is running the Visual Studio Tools for Office solution."

* "After spending a whole day investigating this, here is the answer to my problem...  a custom rule by my company's virus software is blocking the .net framework ability (or excel's rather) to create the 'shadow copy' version of the vsto .dll.  This completely renders any case of VSTO useless in my entire corporation..."

So my first question is this: Are you attempting to run this at work?  If so, ask your IT department if they've applied a security policy that would prevent Microsoft's .NET Framework from shadow-copying DLLs, which is what has to happen in order for NodeXL to run.

-- Tony

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM

In case it helps: I had encountered the same problem, but the cause proved to be another add-in that I had installed (it was an in-house add-in).