Whitelisting Twitter account

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Hi All,

I thought I would try NodeXL with Twitter. I am in Hungary and the elections are coming up. This could be the first big chance to follow how for instance Twitter is used by different political groups in their campaigns. I wonder if people who managed to get whitelisted are all developers. I am not, just a scholar. This is what I got from Twitter:

"Thanks for requesting to be on Twitter's API whitelist. Unfortunately, we've rejected your request. Here's why: Whitelisting is for developer use only, sorry!"

Is there anything else I could/should do?

Thanks, Csaba-

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Perhaps your use is "developer use"?  Try: "I plan to use whitelisting to develop an application to add value to twitter search results."

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for your response. So I figure it is "sneaking in as developers" for other people as well. Should they let me through the first gate, are there going to be any developer-specific questions asked next? And obligations whatsoever? Csaba-

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

All NodeXL users should comply with the terms of use and service of all sites they connect to using the Data Import components.

Twitter wants to provide services to people creating improvements to their service.  They may require IP numbers for the systems you will use to connect to Twitter.

Developers may make use of NodeXL to understand the data they are getting from Twitter.

I hope Twitter will recognize the value NodeXL can add for their users and expand the whitelist population.