Cluster function preempts vertex shape

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Howdy,

When I find clusters, the shapes I have assigned to my vertices are changed to the shapes assigned on the cluster sheet.  The only way to change them back is to delete the contents in the shape column of the cluster sheet.  If I do that, the cluster color is lost, too.  If I find clusters again, it finds the same clusters and enters them with a color and a shape on the cluster sheet, again, but both the vertex shape and color remain as I have set them.

What I am looking for are the shapes I assign with the colors that the cluster function assigns.  Is there a way to do that?

Peter

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Peter:

No, there is no way to do that, because NodeXL needs both color and shape to denote clusters in the graph pane.  It runs through seven colors with disks for the first seven clusters it finds, then runs through the same seven colors with solid squares for the next seven clusters, and then the seven colors with solid diamonds, and so on.  If it didn't use shape to denote clusters, it would rapidly run out of easily distinguishable colors and would be very limited in the number of clusters it could show.

By the way, you can hide the cluster information and revert back to the colors and shapes specified in the Vertices worksheet by using NodeXL, Show/Hide, Graph Elements, Clusters.

-- Tony

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Thanks, Tony, that makes sense.

Peter

On Tue, January 26, 2010 8:09 pm, tcap479 wrote:
> From: tcap479
>
>
> Peter:No, there is no way to do that, because NodeXL needs both color and
> shape to denote clusters in the graph pane. It runs through seven colors
> with disks for the first seven clusters it finds, then runs through the
> same seven colors with solid squares for the next seven clusters, and