NodeXL: Saving / Printing of graphs

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Hello,

I am using the tool to map a complex process and I use it more or less like a multi-dimensional fishbone diagram.

It really works fantastic.

The only drawback is that I have quite some issues trying to get good images saved on my computer and printed (for reviews). My network uses labels and I have between 150 and 300 nodes. I am printing on A2 in order to be able to read it. Given the physics behind the edges, I am manually positioning the vertices

1. If I change the image size, my graph gets fully corrupted (and I need to start all over) - currently set to 3732 by 2862
  2. Often, the addin crashes when saving the file
  3. TIFF is working best, but one time, I got a perfect print and the next time, the scale of the labels was too small. Is it possible to define the scale for saving the image? That would be very helpful

Anyone has any suggestions on how I can get high resolution printouts of my graphs?

Thanks for the help

Maarten

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Maarten:

On the crashing issue, I haven't seen that before and obviously it shouldn't be happening.  If it happens again, please post any details you have, such as the error message that pops up, and I'll investigate.

Your best bet for saving an image for printing or review is probably XPS, which is Microsoft's scalable vector format (think PDF).  Once you have your graph in XPS format, you can open it in Acrobat (and other programs) and scale it as necessary.

-- Tony