Dynamic filtering

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Am I correct in assuming that the dynamic filter function is <=?  That is, if I set the dynamic filter to 5, the graph will show nodes with the value 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  If I set it to 3 it will show nodes with the values 1, 2, 3.  That seems to be what is happening but I want to check.  Are there any plans to allow the all (or even some) of the functions that are allowed for regular filtering?

Also, when I use the function that allows me to set a parameter, like edge width, according to the value in another column, the parameter (e.g. edge width) doesn't change back to normal even if I clear the entry, or type in "Empty."  How do I reset the parameter? 

Thanks..

Peter

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Peter:

The dynamic filters have two limits.  If the lower limit for a vertex dynamic filter is set to 2 and the upper limit is set to 5, then only vertices with a value >= 2 and <= 5 are shown.

Please clarify what you mean by "functions that are allowed for regular filtering."

To clear a column that was autofilled, right-click the column name in the Autofill Columns dialog box (Edge Width, for example) and select Clear Edge Width Worksheet Column Now.

-- Tony

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Thanks, Tony. Sorry for the dumb questions.

By "functions allowed for regular filtering" I meant "equal to" and "not
equal" as well as <= and >=. So "equal to" is covered but "not equal to"
is not. Offhand, I can't think of a use for the latter, though.

Peter

On Tue, December 15, 2009 7:40 pm, tcap479 wrote:
> From: tcap479
>
>
> Peter:The dynamic filters have two limits. If the lower limit for a
> vertex dynamic filter is set to 2 and the upper limit is set to 5, then
> only vertices with a value >= 2 and <= 5 are shown.Please clarify what
> you mean by "functions that are allowed for regular filtering."To clear a
> column that was autofilled, right-click the column name in the Autofill
> Columns dialog box (Edge Width, for example) and select Clear Edge Width
> Worksheet Column Now.-- Tony
>
>
>
Dec 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Not at all dumb.  On the last item in particular, we have a work item to make the "Clear Worksheet Column Now" option visible in the dialog box, because no one knows it exists.

We don't have plans to add more equality options to the Dynamic Filters dialog.  However, note that you can use Excel's built-in table filters to do all sorts of fancy filtering, although it won't be as dynamic as NodeXL's feature.  For example, if you click the down-arrow in the column header of a numeric column, specify an Excel "Number Filter," and thus filter out some of the table rows, then NodeXL will read only the resulting rows and skip those that have been filtered.

-- Tony