Does NodeXL work with O14

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I have just installed Office 2010 beta on all my machines (foolishly).  Is there a way to trick the installer into thinking I have 2007 so it will install the template?

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

What is the error message you are getting when you attempt to install NodeXL?

-- Tony

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

"It appears that Excel 2007 is not installed on this machine.  The Microsoft NodeXL Template requires Excel 2007."  Same result on multiple machines.  Is the installer looking for the PID?

The older template I downloaded from Toolbox does install and work with 2010.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:03 AM

The NodeXL setup program is looking for a Path string value on the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\InstallRoot

It doesn't actually use the Path value; the value just needs to exist.

I have not tested NodeXL on Office 2010.  If you modify your registry (and I take no responsibility for that!) and successfully install NodeXL, please let me know how it goes.

-- Tony

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Sorry, I’m not technical enough to attempt that (or brave enough… I’m in marketing!)  Might it be possible to modify the installer?

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 6:03 PM
To: Lindsay Hughes
Subject: Re: Does NodeXL work with O14 [NodeXL:76638]

The NodeXL setup program is looking for a Path string value on the following registry key:

It doesn't actually use the Path value; the value just needs to exist.

I have not tested NodeXL on Office 2010. If you modify your registry (and I take no responsibility for that!) and successfully install NodeXL, please let me know how it goes.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Sorry, Lindsay -- when you mentioned Toolbox and PID, I assumed you were a programmer.

I don't want to update the installer yet, because that would imply that NodeXL has been tested with Excel 2010, and it hasn't been.  For the time being, my best suggestions would be to either try to find a machine with Excel 2007 and use that, or ask someone nearby to try the registry trick I mentioned above on your Excel 2010 machine.

Our team has limited programming resources (there is just one programmer, me!), which is why we're postponing support for Excel 2010 until we get closer to the release date.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Tony, do you mind contacting me directly to discuss?

Many thanks,

L…

Lindsay Hughes | Senior Market Research Manager | CMG Market Research & Insights | 425.707.6516

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:16 AM
To: Lindsay Hughes

Sorry, Lindsay -- when you mentioned Toolbox and PID, I assumed you were a programmer.

I don't want to update the installer yet, because that would imply that NodeXL has been tested with Excel 2010, and it hasn't been. For the time being, my best suggestions would be to either try to find a machine with Excel 2007 and use that, or ask someone nearby to try the registry trick I mentioned above on your Excel 2010 machine.

Our team has limited programming resources (there is just one programmer, me!), which is why we're postponing support for Excel 2010 until we get closer to the release date.

Thanks,
Tony

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hi Lindsay and everyone,

I'm also using Office 2010 beta. I tried creating the string mentioned above in the registry on my desktop machine. While it apparently has not caused any problems (that I know of yet), it still does not allow the program to be installed. I'm really eager to be able to use it.

Fortunately, I had it installed on my laptop back when I had Office 2007 on it, and when I upgraded to 2010 beta on that machine, the program still seems to work.

Paul.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Paul:

Given that you know your way around the registry, perhaps you could do me a favor.

On the machine on which you have Office 2010 beta installed, does the following registry key exist and have a Path string value?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\13.0\Excel\InstallRoot

Thanks,
    Tony

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Hi Tony,

No I can’t see it on the registry editor. I see 8.0, 11.0, 12.0 and 14.0.

Paul.

Sent: Saturday, 9 January 2010 5:45 AM
To: alerts@teusner.org

Paul:

Given that you know your way around the registry, perhaps you could do me a favor.

On the machine on which you have Office 2010 beta installed, does the following registry key exist and have a Path string value?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\13.0\Excel\InstallRoot

Thanks,
Tony

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Hi Tony,

I am now also in the Office '10 beta camp (my '07 trial license ran out, I don't have a full version locally and would need to get it mailed... long story).

1. I added key:

to registry and created a new string "Path" with value = Office 2010 beta install directory.

Same error ('it appears Excel 2007 is not installed on your machine') as above. Are there any workarounds? I'll be happy to be a courageous beta tester :)

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:00 AM
Edited Feb 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Hello, Vlad:

Starting with version 1.0.1.109, NodeXL should be installable on a machine with Office 2010 beta, although that has been given only limited testing so far.  What version of NodeXL are you attempting to install?

-- Tony

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Hi Tony,

It seems to be working for me. I’ve installed the program and have opened the NodeXL template. Now I’m getting a box stating that Office 2010 beta is configuring, and Office is asking me if I want to install this configuration utlilty. But all seems to be working well!

Thanks. Now I can complete my PhD thesis!

Paul.

Sent: Friday, 5 February 2010 17:01
To: alerts@teusner.org

Hello, Vlad:

Starting with version 1.0.1.109, NodeXL should now be installable on a machine with Office 2010 beta, although that has been given only limited testing so far. What version of NodeXL are you attempting to install?

-- Tony

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Thanks for letting me know, Paul, and good luck with your thesis.

-- Tony

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Hi Tony,

I'm still having the issue with NodeXL 1.0.110 and Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta. Excel version: 14.0.4536.1 (64-bit). OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Error: "It Appears Excel 2007 is not Installed. Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template Requires Excel 2007."

I tried with and without changing the registry... though I did not restart (don't know if you need to restart to update the registry in Win7).

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Vlad

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Also (and this may add to the confusion), Win 7 asked me if I wanted to install the software with "settings compatible to this machine." Foolishly, I clicked yes. It's still not letting me install NodeXL (same error), but now there's a registry key:

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

with Name = path to Setup.exe for the 110 version.

Further searching for NodeXL in the registry yields some leftover keys from Office 2007 (previously installed on same machine), they're at:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\

with specific Keys: "File MRU", "Options", "Recent Templates", "Resiliency", "Security"

There are also some leftover keys from the NodeXL installation that was linked to Office 2007. They're in:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\Security\Inclusion\{long alphanumeric}

Hope this helps!

Vlad

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Vlad:

The setup program is looking for either of two registry values.  The first is on the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\InstallRoot.  If that key exists and has a Path value, then Office 2007 is installed.  The second is on the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\InstallRoot.  If that key exists and has a Path value, then Office 2010 is installed.  If neither value is found, then the setup program will tell you that "It appears that Excel 2007 is not installed.  The Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template requires Excel 2007."

Does your machine have either of these registry values?

-- Tony

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Hi Tony,

My machine does have the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\InstallRoot

The key has two values: Default (Value Not Set) and Path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\)

NodeXL still won't install :( I tried restarting, and tried installing 1.1.109 instead of 1.1.110

Vlad

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Vlad:

It's an issue with 64-bit vs 32-bit Excel 2010.  I tested NodeXL on a 32-bit version of Excel 2010, not a 64-bit version.  I'll get back to you on this.

-- Tony

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Vlad:

Please try version 1.0.1.112.  I modified the setup program to allow NodeXL to be installed on machines with 64-bit Office 2010.  Let me know what happens.

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=40264

Thanks,
    Tony