Problem importing Twitter networks since NodeXL 1.0.1.96

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM
Edited Nov 29, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Help. Since NodeXL 1.0.1.98 I have been experiencing problems importing Twitter user networks with imports failing only allowing me to do a partial import of a network. My Twitter account is whitelisted so this shouldn't be a rate limit problem. I have to go back to NodeXL 1.0.1.97 for this problem not to occur. The error message I am getting is "The Twitter network information couldn't be downloaded. Details: [WebException]: The remote server returned an error (500) Internal Server Error." Sometimes the error message is (502). The result is I can only do partial imports of Twitter networks if I use NodeXL from version 1.0.1.98. Is there a remedy for fixing this problem importing a complete Twitter network or that makes it possible to resume an import from the point at which it failed so that a complete Twitter network can eventually be imported? Thank you.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

John:

We're aware of the reliability problems with the Twitter and YouTube imports.  They are causing much grief for many, including several people on our NodeXL team who are trying to perform research on social networks.  The particular errors you quoted are occurring on the Twitter side ("internal server error" is shorthand for "we received your request but something went wrong within our servers when we tried to get the information you asked for), and there is nothing we can do about them except to retry the requests (which NodeXL currently does, for a total of four attempts), and to offer more options on how to handle them when all retries fail.  We plan to address the additional error-handling options soon, so please watch for new releases in the next few weeks.

-- Tony