Customization Assembly could not be found

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:57 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I am new to NODEXL and EXCEL 2007 (extensive experience with EXCEL 2003).  There were no issues during the installation of the template.  I am able to get results by "cutting and pasting" from a workbook created in Excel 2003 but opened with Excel 2007 into a new template.   The problem comes after saving the file.   When I try to reopen the new workbook the following dialoge box is displayed:  Title: "Microsoft Office Document Customization"; Message: "The customization assembly cound not be found or loaded.  You can still edit and save the document.  Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance."

Does anyone have any suggestions to correct the problem?

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM

A couple of questions:

1. Does the dialog box contain additional error details?  Please click the Details button if there is one, then press Ctrl-C and paste the entire error message here.

2. Omitting any cutting-and-pasting from another workbook for the moment, can you open the NodeXL template, type something (anything) into it, save it as a workbook, and reopen the workbook successfully?

-- Tony

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Actually, I might know the cause of the problem.  Please see "About Excel's Trusted Locations":

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=72820

-- Tony

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Thank you Tony, the "Trusted Locations" suggestion worked beautifully.  I can now open the file and display the graph.  

I have 3 additional issues that are not obvious to me.

1. Somehow I've managed to add an set of axes to the graph.  I would like to get rid of them but cannot find anything about axes settings in the documentation or on this website.  I've been through most of the buttons (most likely how I added them in the first place).  Do you know how to turn off the axes option?

2. How does one save the graph layout.  Mine seem to change each time the file is opened.  I have the cells locked but this does not seem to apply on file-open.  Again, any hints would be most appreciated.

3. At times some of my nodes are outside the window.  It appears that one can only zoom-in not out.  Is there a way around this?

Thank you again.

Paul

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Paul:

Glad to hear that worked.  On your new issues:

1. To hide the axes, go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Graph Elements in the Excel ribbon and uncheck Axes.

2. By having "the cells locked," do you mean you've locked them via Excel formatting?  NodeXL doesn't lock vertices that way.  You can lock all vertices like so:

A. In the graph pane, right click anywhere and select Select All Vertices.

B. In the graph pane, right click anywhere and select Edit Selected Vertex Properties.

C. In the Vertex Properties dialog box, set Locked to Yes and click OK.

This just fills in the Locked? column on the Vertices worksheet, so an alternative is to fill in the column manually.  The column is hidden by default; show it using NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns, Layout.

3. You're saying that the Zoom slider near the top of the graph pane is all the way to the left and some vertices are still outside the graph pane?

-- Tony

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Tony:

1. The axes are now turned off. 

2. By "the cells locked" means that the value in "Column W" of the "Vertices" is set to 1.  The title for "Column W is "Locked?"  However, the problem may be an artifact of the previous issue.  I've just laid out and saved a graph.  The layout was preserved when I reloaded the workbook.

3. The slider is all the way to the left and some of the nodes are outside of the window.  I was able to edit the coordinates to move them back into the active window.  Again, this may have been corrected by some of the settings I changed today.  For example, the default save format was Excel 2003 for compatibility with other users who have not upgraded..  I have not seen this problem since changing the default. 

However, this does raise the question about the zoom control.   There are no scroll bars when the graph window is zoomed.   Is this normal or do I have to turn them on.

I appreciate your investment in getting me up and running.  NodeXL is a great program.

Paul

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Paul:

The graph pane is not supposed to have scroll bars.  Right now you move around the zoomed-in graph by dragging the mouse while holding down the spacebar, although this may change in a future version.

-- Tony

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Tony:

Works like a champ.  One last question, is there appears to be a maximum size for the graph window.  I cannot get it to fill my monitor when using an extended desktop.   Is there a way to make it larger?

Thank you again for all your help.

Paul

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Paul:

I can get the graph pane to fill my monitor by dragging its title bar ("Document Actions," which should actually be "Graph Pane" but can't be changed) out of the Excel window, then resizing it.  I have not tried this on an extended desktop, though.

-- Tony

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM

...but if it doesn't work on an extended desktop, I'm afraid I can't fix it.  That pane is controlled by Excel.  Programs such as NodeXL can fill it with stuff, but they have no control over resizing, docking (and docking it is very finicky), or anything else.

-- Tony