Issue on cross platform between .NET and Perl

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I am developing a demo NodeXL data provider spigot, importing network data into NodeXL via a web service.  The network data sits on a linux server.  According to my research, this seems to be the standard way to solve the cross-platform issue:

1. use SOAP::Lite (since we are using perl + Apache2) to create the web service on Apache server,
2. create WSDL file, either by WSDL::Generator, or POD::WSDL
3. .NET (Visual Studio C#) imports this WSDL file and uses its wsdl.exe program to generate a proxy class from the web service wsdl file, then creates the object and calls the functions remotely.

Is this the way you would go about this?  Is WSDL file necessary for the Visual Studio to reference to according to the apache environment instead of Microsoft IIS? Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM

I'm not a Perl programmer and haven't used the tools you mention in 1 and 2.  However, Visual Studio is set up to work with a WSDL file regardless of the environment in which the file was created, so Visual Studio ought to be able to generate a client-side proxy for you without a problem.

In other words, your approach sounds fine to me.

-- Tony

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Thank you Tony, the problem is basically solved.