Labels within shapes?

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Hi,

Is it possible in NodeXL to have the label inside the shapes, as in this example?: -

http://www.neoformix.com/2007/StateOfUnion_2007.png

If so, I can't seem to find out how.

Thanks, Dave.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I'll assume that you're using the Excel 2007 template.  If instead you are a programmer who is using the class libraries in your own application, let me know.

To show a vertex as a label, do the following:

1. Fill in the Edges worksheet.

2. Click Show Graph in the graph pane to copy all the vertices on the Edges worksheet to the Vertices worksheet.  (You can also do this in the Excel Ribbon with NodeXL, Data, Prepare Data, Get Vertices from Edge List.)

3. In the Ribbon, select NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns.  Click Labels.

4. Select the Vertices worksheet.  The Label column will be visible.  (It's usually column G.)

5. Fill in the Label column.

6. Click Refresh Graph in the graph pane.  The vertices will appear as boxes with the Label text inside.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hi,

Yes, sorry, I'm using the Excel plugin.

I figured out how to get labels in the boxes, but what I can't figure out is how to keep the labels in boxes (or any other shape) and alter the size of the box depending on other criteria (e.g. degree) whilst keeping the label inside the box.  Putting the label inside the box appears to ignore any shape size settings.

Thanks, Dave.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Dave:

Now I understand.  Today, the Size column on the Vertices worksheet is ignored when using primary labels.  The box containing the text is sized according to the text length and the font you've selected in Options, Label Font.  So you can't do what you want to do.

However, we have a work item to overhaul the way vertex labels work.  Not only will the Size column be used, but the Primary and Secondary Label columns will go away in favor of new Shape options called Label and Solid Label, and you'll have options for positioning what are called Secondary labels today.  We're in the process of scheduling this work item along with the many other improvements we have planned.

-- Tony

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Fantastic news!  Many thanks :)