Force-based weighted graph

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Force-based weighted graph
I was looking for an implementation of a forced based graph drawing to draw a spring graph with unequal attractive forces on edges. 
Fruchterman-Reingold as the default layout in NodeXl give me the basic forced base algorithm but I still need to assign strength (attractive force) to each edge so vertices with stronger edges between them should stay closer in compare to edges with weak connections between them.
My question is that, is it possible to achieve such a spring graph with current implementation of the NodeXL?
I will appreciate any suggestion or comment.
-Amir

I am looking for an implementation of a forced based graph to draw a spring graph with unequal attractive forces on edges. 

Fruchterman-Reingold as the default layout in NodeXl give me the basic forced base algorithm but I still need to assign strength (attractive force) to each edge so vertices with stronger edges stay closer in compare to edges with weak connections between them.

is it possible to achieve such a spring graph with current implementation of the NodeXL?

I will appreciate any suggestion or comment.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

NodeXL does not provide a layout that uses per-edge attractive forces.  The layout system is extensible, so if you're a programmer you can add such a layout algorithm yourself, but it's not something that NodeXL can do out of the box.

Sorry!

-- Tony

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes I am a developer, and I go for extending the NodeXL. So far I found the graph functionality great, and I am happy to contribute some codes to the project.

Thanks

-Amir