combining multiple imports

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:49 PM
I have tried without success to combine multiple workbooks. I tried to do a time series collection of data, no realising I could have imported new info without losing the old. Does anyone know if I can still combine these into one big document that will still retain a unique date identifier? Tx.
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2016 at 4:32 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM
Hello!

Merging NodeXL workbooks is problematic, but it can be done.

First, see the NodeXL>Data>Import>Import Options menu.

If you UNSELECT the Clear the nodeXL workbook before the data is imported, when a second import is performed, the data will be appended to the bottom of the Edges and Vertices worksheets.

Once a series of imports are appended together, you will want to clean the resulting data to make each edge unique and to remove duplicate rows from the Vertices worksheet.

This can be an error prone method. We suggest that an alternative is to use a 3rd party service like the Connected Action Graph Server Importer for NodeXL (see: GraphServerImporter). This enables data to be collected into the cloud, made to be unique there, and then served in large volumes to NodeXL.

Feel free to contact us for assistance.

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 11/11/2016 at 9:32 AM
Nov 23, 2016 at 9:02 AM
Dear Marc,

I hope this finds you well. Thank you for your reply. I understand how to make new imports and append those to existing workbooks, however, I have several workbooks that I would like to combine after the fact. Is there a way to do that?

May thanks,
Rita

Rita Adele Steyn

PhD Candidate - Rhodes University
South African Environmental Observation Network (SAEON)

Office: +27 (0) 46-6229899
Mobile: +27 (0) 76-5999290

18 Somerset St
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
South Africa

Go paperless! Please consider the environment before printing.

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM
Hello!

Not easily. But please contact us via email (info@smrfoundation.org). We may be able to assist.

One approach is to export all your data sets into GraphML and then repeatedly import them back into a single NodeXL workbook.

Regards,

Marc