Won't install properly

Aug 14 at 3:27 PM
Using Excel 2016, basic says it's already installed but it isn't showing up in apps or on desktop. I can find the template when I search for it, but there isn't a NodeXL tab when I open it. Windows 10. Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Aug 15 at 5:14 AM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

On Windows 10 you should find a desktop icon that will start a new NodeXL Template.

If not, please try this:

Windows Start > App Apps > "N" > NodeXL Excel Template [Right-Click: Pin to Start Menu]

This should put a new item in the Start Menu.

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 8/14/2016 at 10:14 PM
Aug 15 at 1:52 PM
Thanks for your response, Marc. But the problem is that I run the installation and the program doesn't "show up" in my apps or as an icon. I can search for and find the template, but then I don't have the "nodeXL" tab in Excel. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. When I tried to install a 2nd time, I got the message:

"The latest version of this customization is already installed."

So it is on my computer but it's not working properly -- it's not showing up with apps and when I open Excel, I can't see the tab. Other suggestions?? Windows 10 + Excel 16.
Coordinator
Aug 15 at 5:08 PM
Hmmm...

NodeXL only appears when the NodeXL Excel Template is opened.

Opening Excel on its own does not display the NodeXL menu.

Can you find the "NodeXL Excel Template" In the "All Apps" menu under Windows Start?

The latest version of NodeXL now places a startup icon on the desktop: can you see anything called "NodeXL Excel Template" on the desktop?

Regards,

Marc
Aug 17 at 10:27 PM
I do not have "N" appear in my apps nor do I have a shortcut to NodeXL on my desktop. I had to search my files to find the NodeXL template, but there is no "NodeXL tab" that would allow me to import data. Just the template with all the standard tabs and 5 worksheets (edges, vertices, groups, etc.).

Windows 10, Excel 16

Thanks, so much for your help!!
Aug 18 at 12:14 AM
I'm having this identical problem. NodeXL is not listed with applications starting with an 'N' and I also do not have a desktop icon.

Would be really helpful if there is a solution to this problem ...
Aug 29 at 8:48 AM
Edited Aug 29 at 8:54 AM
I have the same problem as above. I have 2 PCs running in front of me now. One has Excel 2010 installed, and the other Excel 2016.
NodeXL works fine with 2010, but won't open on the machine with Excel 2016 installed. All I get is a blank Excel screen and no NodeXL tab.
I'm running WIN 10 on both machines.
Is the problem with Office 2016, perhaps?
Aug 30 at 7:30 AM
Problem solved. I installed Excel 2013 and NodeXL now opens up normally. The strange thing, however, is that it appears to be opening in Excel 2016. Perhaps a corrupted or missing file was installed in 2016. Another thing is that when I first installed Office 2016, I did first test whether/how NodeXL would run. And it did run THEN! This is all mysterious to me. I'm happy it's all working nevertheless.
Aug 30 at 7:32 AM
Edited Aug 30 at 7:33 AM
@sandrayoung. Maybe my solution will work for you
Aug 30 at 1:51 PM
Edited Aug 30 at 1:51 PM
Thanks, Marc, but I don't have a copy of Excel 2013.
Aug 30 at 5:58 PM
Edited Aug 30 at 5:59 PM
@rachelmjohnston I'm not sure what to suggest as my NodeXL is running in 2016 which appears to have been 'repaired' by having installed 2013. Perhaps reinstalling Excel 2016 might work, otherwise repairing it might work.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Do let me know.
Sep 8 at 12:26 PM
Hi, I had the same problem when I installed WIN10 and Excel 2016. It didn't leave a link on the desktop, and I couldn't find the app when searching. So I went to uninstall it through manage applications, and there it was. So I went into C: and searched for it and up it popped. I found the shortcut here:

C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\4BTWZEHD.WK9\TOO6433X.74Q\smrf..vsto_91729be392989ec5_0001.0000_083bdb81b1bad762\DeployedTemplate\NodeXLGraph.xltx
Sep 13 at 5:17 PM
Great. I reinstalled Excel 2016, then reinstalled NodeXL and now it work.

Thank you!!