Visualise different threads/posts in a Yammer group

Jul 28 at 3:25 PM
Hi!
I'm a phd candidate in the social sciences department and I'm trying to get a better understanding of a Yammer community I'm studying. I could not find an explanation about this in any documents or Youtube video's, so I hope you can help me with the following questions:

In short: I would like to document individual interactions to make an aggregate of all those different interactions in one big network. An interaction would be whenever person A makes a new thread and person B replies with a comment. Another interaction would be when person C 'likes' either the main post or the reply.

So I would like to be able to visualise the interactions happening in a community.
Is it possible to have the width of the tie increase when there are more interactions between any 2 users? Do I need to document this manually in the 'width' column or is it possible that this happens dynamically when I enter multiple interactions (so there could be multiple vertex 1 and vertex 2 between the same two users).

Also: how can I edit the template so that it can differ between when someone makes a new thread, when someone comments on a new thread, and when someone likes a thread/comment?

I hope you can help me with this!

Best,
Nick
Coordinator
Aug 4 at 11:37 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL does not (yet) have its own Yammer importer.

However, if you have complete Yammer data, it can be parsed into an "Edge List" that can be used in NodeXL.

You may write an edge for each "detail", like each reply or like. NodeXL does have a feature to count the number of times one vertex connects with another.

See: NodeXL > Data > Prepare Data > Count and Merge Duplicate Edges (you may choose not to Merge and just Count)

Once an edge has a strength or weight value it can be mapped to the width of the edge in the network display.

See: NodeXL > Visual Properties > Autofill Columns > Edges > Edge width > [Select a edge column]

NodeXL allows you to add additional columns to the various worksheets.

Each edge may have a column that documents its "relationship type".

Each edge has a color.

See: NodeXL > Visual Properties > Autofill Columns > Edges > Edge color

You may map edge color to any edge attribute, including the relationship type. Thus, different edge types can be assigned different colors (along with other attributes like width, style, and opacity).

Regards,
Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 8/4/2016 at 3:37 PM